Aldi- Purchasing Alcohol "Challenge 25"

It could be worse. You could try buying alcohol in Tesco. They have a policy of only accepting the Garda age card as ID. Passports or Driving Licences are no good in Tesco.

I doubt many people over 25 would have an age card.

This sounds like a fuss over nothing. The point of the challenge 25 scheme is that it is ridiculously difficult to judge a persons age. Just because a person looks 18, doesn't mean they are!! Retailers face prosecution and losing their licence for selling to under age people, and in NI at least, the person selling the alcohol, and not just the retailer can be fined thousands. By setting the benchmark for requesting ID for anyone who looks under 25, the retailer is protected, the sales staff are protected, and more importantly children are being protected from the dangers of under-age drinking.

Is it really that much hassle to produce a driving licence/passport etc to buy alcohol? I'm 33, so don't get IDed too often, but I take it as a compliment when I do, and then have a laugh with the sales person when they see how old I really am!!

It does sound like Aldi could handle the policy better, if they're challenging people who look under 25, but without bothering to follow it up by asking for ID or applying it consistently, but as far as I'm concerned it's essential to stop underage sales.

I was in Dealz yesterday and noticed a poster up with the Challenge 25 on it, as I was waiting for a manager to authorise a refund I asked the shop assistant about it as I was curious after reading this thread. She advised me in their shop it has nothing to do with alcohol as they don't sell it but it referred to buying things like knives, would never have thought of that, it's not clear from the poster what it referred to.

I was in Dealz yesterday and noticed a poster up with the Challenge 25 on it, as I was waiting for a manager to authorise a refund I asked the shop assistant about it as I was curious after reading this thread. She advised me in their shop it has nothing to do with alcohol as they don't sell it but it referred to buying things like knives, would never have thought of that, it's not clear from the poster what it referred to.

I'm sure some of the other Posters here would take issue with them not being allowed to buy knives ...

*Note to Self:- do not engage in arguments with anyone getting worked up on this issue*

Has anyone come across this and can anyone clarify what is "challenge 25" and is it a campaign enforced in the republic of Ireland.

I'm in my late 30's and everytime I purchase alcohol in Aldi the staff member asks me "am I over the age of 25yrs" - I emailed Aldi regarding this because it is making me very uncomfortable and they stated: its the law and all Aldi stores use the Challenge 25, they query a customers age when they think the customer might not be over 25.

This makes no sense and I have google this and I see its a campaign in the U.K. but cannot find anything on this in the republic of Ireland. The consumer board say, of course 18yrs is the legal age and I came across in the RRAI you can query someone's age if you think they are under 21.

Has anyone come across this "Challenge 25" when purchasing alcohol in Ireland.

I do prefer shopping in Aldi but there's no way I'm going to be continually questioned am I over 25yrs when I'm actually over 35yrs....

I have a nice detailed letter ready to go off tomorrow by registered post.., just trying to get a contact name in the Head Office in Newbridge, Naas..

So if the gardai were to stop you at various missing person,spotcheck,green diesel,insurance or tax checkpoints and regulary ask you for id,would you be annoyed at them too? Would you send an email to Garda HQ complaining about it and then post a letter to them too??

Why dont you stop taking offence to being asked about your age,and take it as a compliment that you dont look your age and look alot younger than you are.

I mean really,how hard is it to show some ID as you are taking out your visa debit card or some cash to pay for said items....????Come on like.

Personally I think this is a great idea by Aldi and it hopefully prevents less young people drinking,getting drunk and having "problems" with the stuff from a young age.
Im 40 and I get asked on a regular basis for id in Aldi,I do be rather flattered by it and my wife and I have a good chuckle at the thoughts of other people thinking I look that much younger than I am.We regulary have a laugh and nice chat about it with the person on the till as he or she is scanning through our shopping.A bit of friendly banter doesnt hurt anyone.

When I was in touch with customer service they explained they had contacted that particular store and the manager apologises.

Are you for real or what??:(

The manager shouldnt have to apologise to you.

Infact the manager should be applauded for doing his/her job to the highest standards and making sure that his/her staff are trained and do their job too.

We encountered this Challenge 25 scheme over the weekend and I think Aldi need to improve staff training on it. My wife and I, both in our 30s, were buying some shopping and had a bottle of red wine in our basket. The girl at the till requested ID for it, which is perfectly fine, and I showed my drivers licence but she still refused to sell it to us because she wanted ID from my wife and she had none on her. Neither of us look in any way under age and I think refusing to sell us the bottle of wine in this case was over the top.

I really don't understand why when ID has been shown the person at the checkout would refuse to sell the alcohol. It would suggest to me the that staff don't understand what the rules are intended for. Aldi told me that the person at the till is personally liable if they sell alcohol to people underage but I don't see how this applies when ID has been presented.

My wife made a good point that they didn't challenge parents with teenage children we have seen buying large amounts of alcohol so the rule is applied inconsistently.

Anyway, it's not a major issue, it was just a minor frustration and I just thought I'd post it up cos I was surprised those accompanying the person paying need ID.

Back