Alcohol in every corner of the supermarket

It was disgusting - talk about tannins, I think it was made up of nothing but!
I'm surprised that cheap wine has a high tannin content. Try opening the next bottle three of four hours (or even a day) before you drink it. That should help.

Don't you think the alcohol is different to all the other products that are sold in a supermarket though? I mean, lets be honest, alcohol is a drug. One that the vast majority of people enjoy responsibly yes, but a drug nonetheless, and one which is abused by a significant minority. I guess you can't please everyone though.

Not really. People also abuse food and overeat to alarming proportions, or abuse laxatives and suffer from eating disorders, people are addicted to cigarettes and caffeine.

I think that people have to be responsible for their own behaviour. I dont think the Supermarket should be held responsible for other peoples alcohol abuse.

So is caffeine. Should we lock the coffee and tea bags away too to protect caffeine addicts from themselves and those who can moderate their intake from nothing at all? What about solvents? A small number of people abuse these too.

So is caffeine. Should we lock the coffee and tea bags away too to protect caffeine addicts from themselves and those who can moderate their intake from nothing at all? What about solvents? A small number of people abuse these too.

Not really the same thing I don't think....

I'm surprised that cheap wine has a high tannin content. Try opening the next bottle three of four hours (or even a day) before you drink it. That should help.

TBH, I left it out in the kitchen overnight after the first glass and it was a lot more palitable. It wasn't pleasant, but at least I didn't feel like I was varnishing my throat.

TBH, I left it out in the kitchen overnight after the first glass and it was a lot more palitable. It wasn't pleasant, but at least I didn't feel like I was varnishing my throat.
Try warming it to a few degrees above room temperature next time then drink it with beef or game, it should be fine.

I'm in two minds — I'm all for adults taking personal responsibility, but I do sometimes feel uneasy when I walk with my young kids past 8-foot-high displays of slabs of beercans draped in Rugby (or GAA) colours in the lead-up to a match. This happens all the time in my local supermarkets (and no, I haven't bothered complaining!)

We no longer allow billboard advertising of tobacco products; we're pleased when supermarkets provide sweet-free aisles; we have advertising standards which prohibit messages implying that alcohol makes you smarter/cooler/more attractive to the opposite sex. Why not ask supermarkets to market alcohol a bit more responsibly, too? They make a lot of money out of it.

...drink it with beef or game, it should be fine.
What, so now you you want us to kill innocent little furry animals to go with the stuff...?!?

In Ireland do all supermarket chains stock alcohol?

Certainly here there are 2 major chains, one that sells alcohol (and its laid out somewhat similar to home with promotions etc around the store) and one that doesnt. If you wish to avoid alcohol in the supermarket, for whatever the reason, you shop there. Its a good solution to the problem - rarely does one supermarket have something that the other doesnt (with the exception of alcohol). I know other countries have a similar model as well.

Not really. People also abuse food and overeat to alarming proportions, or abuse laxatives and suffer from eating disorders, people are addicted to cigarettes and caffeine.

All above products are usually located in their own section, OP/calico weren't looking to ban it just not have it at every turn.

Again straying from the OP/calico's argument.

All above products are usually located in their own section, OP/calico weren't looking to ban it just not have it at every turn.

Again straying from the OP/calico's argument.

You have taken my individual comment completely out of context - what I said was in direct response to the OP/Calicos comment "Don't you think the alcohol is different to all the other products that are sold in a supermarket though?"

What about drugs like cocaine can cannibas? Should they be legalized and sold in supermarkets? Why/ why not?
Different discussion since I was referring to drugs that are already legal.

However personally I would have few objections to all such drugs being legalised, (quality) controlled, taxed etc. but I would obviously be in a minority in this view. In general I don't believe that what grown adults do should be circumscribed by law as long as what they do doesn't harm the person or property of other non consenting parties. Basically the same sort of views as outlined in this book.

Quote:

Usually, yes (no more than alcohol) but always? No, especially when coffee for example is sold prominently in "buy one get one free"-type promotions.

Usually, yes (no more than alcohol) but always? No, especially when coffee for example is sold prominently in "buy one get one free"-type promotions.

Which is why I said usually, either way you usually don't have to navigate around stacks of coffee either. I'm not really backing up the OP just saying the point isn't as ludicrous as it is being made out.

Hmmmmm! Stocktaker/QC person wanted by large supermarket chain. Graduate of University of Life. Must be proficient in two of the following: Powerpoint, AK47, Glock. Attractive package, 3 ltr car, foreign travel, life insurance etc.