airline taxes included in fares

P

podgeandrodge

Anyone any suggestions on whats going on with the following:

Ad in the Independent - "Aer Lingus Eur37 one way including taxes." But it only applies when going over to France - not to coming back. The reason, according to Aer Lingus, is that the TOTAL tax that is imposed on travel to France when leaving Ireland is a passenger tax of Eur3 on top of their published lowest fare of Eur34 on the web. Hence, a total one way fare of Eur37.

Coming back however, the taxes levied by the French Govt are much higher so no Eur37 fare back.
Fare enough (pun). Though the advertising is a bit bloody cheeky as one first assumes that a Eur74 return fare can be achieved.

What's bothering me though is the issue of a total tax of Eur 3 going out. I tried Air France direct to Paris one way and their "tax" amounts to Eur17. Ryanair direct to Beauvais Paris tax equals Eur16.

Are Aer Lingus telling porkies on the tax outwards to imply a low fare and making up for it on the return journey? Where can one find out exactly how much the correct tax is? Am I just obsessed with conspiracy?

Thanks!

taxes

Just checked Aer Lingus taxes from Dublin to Paris and they came up at Eur16 so they appear to be the same as the other airlines.

So all I'm wondering is, are there different taxes leaving Dublin depending on what part of France you are visiting? i.e Eur16 to Paris, Eur3 to Nice?? Weird!

Re: taxes

So all I'm wondering is, are there different taxes leaving Dublin depending on what part of France you are visiting?

Quite likely, as the misleading term of 'taxes' is often used to include airport landing charges, which would vary by airport.

Back