Air heat pumps

roker

Just an observation. Our neighbour behind us has a air heat pump that seems to run 24hrs a day summer and winter, this ha 2 large fans and presumably a large compressor. This does not appear to be efficient use of electric to obtain heating.
I have solar panels with a small pump that only runs occasionally
Can someone enlighten me

heat pump that seems to run 24hrs a day
I don't think they are running constantly - they come on when there is a need for the hot water top up (large cylinder in the house has a hot a water cylinder) or when the heating system needs to come up to temperature... Once the temperature is reached, then they switch off again.
There could be an issue with the sensor in the unit itself or the internal system in the house which may mean the fans are spinning constantly...

I don't think they are running constantly - they come on when there is a need for the hot water top up (large cylinder in the house has a hot a water cylinder) or when the heating system needs to come up to temperature... Once the temperature is reached, then they switch off again.
There could be an issue with the sensor in the unit itself or the internal system in the house which may mean the fans are spinning constantly...
I can hear it from my bathroom window and garden, it definitely is running all of the time

I have one myself and as expected it comes on as needed and off again - just a few minutes at a time as heating isn't on and only used for topping up the hot water.

Must be an issue with that one, if it's constantly on, or the settings might not be correct.

I was servicing my kids bikes a few weeks out in the back garden, near the unit, and when the fans came on to heat the water in the house, the cool breeze from the fans was very welcome in the heat of the sun. Wouldn't mind a bit of sun now though :-/

But to answer your question, I think they are only to heat the system, not cool it down. We don't have the heating on per se (the thermostats are set to 5C) so at the moment it's only used for hot water. From my reading (of the very sparse information with the unit), is that it's a gradual increase in heat, over a number of days. Firstly, the heating system needs to be on for a number of weeks to get it to required temperature (underfloor heating) and then it's just little changes over time from the base temperature you want. Unlike gas / oil where the heat is within minutes so to speak, think this is days. I assume with the A rating, the heat stays in the house longer so gradual changes is all that is needed - time will tell!The radiators upstairs do not get hot, just warm, when heating system is on.

I think I'll need to read up on it a lot more !

Are you friendly with that neighbour of yours? You could ask in "general terms" what the system is like etc...

Hi I am thinking of installing an Air to Water Heat Pump. What brand would you recommed?. I was thinking either 5K Mitsubishi Ecodan or
5K Vitocal by Weissman. Any comments to add to help me in my search?

I have one myself and as expected it comes on as needed and off again - just a few minutes at a time as heating isn't on and only used for topping up the hot water.

Must be an issue with that one, if it's constantly on, or the settings might not be correct.
Doing research on this, the heat pump cannot switch on and off like a boiler, because it runs at a lower temperature and is very slow to heat up it is left on all night and semi permanent until not required

Doing research on this, the heat pump cannot switch on and off like a boiler, because it runs at a lower temperature and is very slow to heat up it is left on all night and semi permanent until not required
And for that reason they are better suited to homes that require very little heat input, or are occupied most of the time.

Back