AIB offers a <50% borrower a rate of 2.5%

My AIB switching offer arrived today, still 2.75% for me. I will be calling them in the morning to see if there's any improvement available (€200k/10yrs)

My AIB switching offer arrived today, still 2.75% for me. I will be calling them in the morning to see if there's any improvement available (€200k/10yrs)
AIB still standing firm that 2.75% is their lowest variable. Loan is 200k, property value 650k, term 10yrs. They are not budging from 2.75%.

If Gordon's friend got 2.5% there may be some other preferential aspect to that, but they are not open to negotiating about this with me.

According this morning's trading statement, AIB's "market share of mortgage drawdowns in the month of February was 33%, up on month December 2017, and a positive trend in applications continues".

So, it seems that AIB's recent advertising blitz has worked and its market share has recovered - I wouldn't expect to see a rate cut from AIB any time soon.:(

Bottom line - other lenders are offering better deals so go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I agree @Sarenco
But bear in mind there's quite a time delay from application to drawdown. The increase in share would be down to their last rate drop in September / October which was ahead of others, so it'll be interesting to see if they can hold that share through half year.

Back