AIB Mobile without Current Account

coolwap

I have a AIB Platinum Credit card which I usually use for car rental deposit or large purchases before the paycheck. I frequently check my card balance using AIB Mobile app to ensure that there are no unknown transactions and my card was charged/refunded the correct amount. I like my card because its free and gives me 0.5% cashback on any transactions (even Revolut top up).

However, I would like to close my AIB Current Account because I am not using it at all and just paying €6.85 quarterly fee. Ignorant employee at the branch insulted me (different story) and told me that if I close the account, I will lose access to the AIB Mobile app making it impossible to see card transactions until you receive a letter in a month.

Anybody had a similar case, is this true? What about opening Personal Demand Deposit Account? I have heard from some people that its one of the ways to keep online banking without current account (but it was in BOI)

it's a while ago but I had access to AIB online banking without a current account, I just had a demand deposit and credit card. However it means for anything that required a card reader, I had to use a "code card" instead as I didn't have an actual debit card and they've discontinued the code cards since (I now do have an AIB current account as i moved my mortgage to them). Rare enough that I get asked for the extra verification though.

Thanks a lot guys.
So in addition to the insult, I was also misinformed. Lovely.

Opened Demand Deposit account in the app and will go to another branch to close the Current Account.
Thanks again!

I, too, have access to mobile app without current account. I can pay into it using a Demand account I had with them but they made life difficult when trying to open other accounts when I tried. They want their CA fees I'm afraid. As long as you have a way to pay the CC with the CA you should be OK.

I, too, have access to mobile app without current account. I can pay into it using a Demand account I had with them but they made life difficult when trying to open other accounts when I tried. They want their CA fees I'm afraid. As long as you have a way to pay the CC with the CA you should be OK.
I see at 3 ways to pay without CA:
1) send money from Revolut to on-demand account and pay in the app
2) send money from Revolut directly to shared CC IBAN with Credit Card number in reference
3) pay in branch using slip attached to statement

Unless you have a Current Account ATM/Debit card you will lose the ability to set up Payees on AIB's Internet Banking, as they use the card and card reader to generate security codes. They claim they have no ability to setup Payees for you in a branch.
If you kick up a fuss, AIB will set you up with an current account with no fees, so you get a card. You are supposed to just leave this with zero balance. I don't know if they start charging if you start using the current account.

Unless you have a Current Account ATM/Debit card you will lose the ability to set up Payees on AIB's Internet Banking, as they use the card and card reader to generate security codes. They claim they have no ability to setup Payees for you in a branch.
If you kick up a fuss, AIB will set you up with an current account with no fees, so you get a card. You are supposed to just leave this with zero balance. I don't know if they start charging if you start using the current account.
If you only have a credit card, you shouldnt need to facility to ad a payee. You just need to be able to
1. set your own internet bacnking to send money to AIB to pay the bill
2. approve onlione transactions
3. View transactions etc

Unfortunately, option 2 is not possible, Revolut have not implemented paying to an AIB credit card account properly so the money will just bounce back after a day. Hopefully, they will fix at some point...
I see at 3 ways to pay without CA:
1) send money from Revolut to on-demand account and pay in the app
2) send money from Revolut directly to shared CC IBAN with Credit Card number in reference
3) pay in branch using slip attached to statement

Unfortunately, option 2 is not possible, Revolut have not implemented paying to an AIB credit card account properly so the money will just bounce back after a day. Hopefully, they will fix at some point...
But is it not just a bank transfer from one IBAN to another with the credit card number as reference? That's how I do with N26 to make payments to my BOI credit card.

Back