Aged 40 - Own home outright - recently inherited €300k

Ok, if given €500k without any other investments or pension - do you: purchase an accumulating world ETF, or a few properties which you rent to the council?

Personally an ETF, as I wouldn't be interested in the hassle of being a landlord to three low-end properties even with a local authority in the middle.

Both have risks. I would say risk of capital losses is greater with equities, risk of something going wrong with the whole business model greater with landlording.

Personally an ETF, as I wouldn't be interested in the hassle of being a landlord to three low-end properties even with a local authority in the middle.

Both have risks. I would say risk of capital losses is greater with equities, risk of something going wrong with the whole business model greater with landlording.
Fair enough. I’m torn to be honest. Trying to gauge what the sensible thing to do is, so appreciate your feedback.
The hassle of being a landlord is non existent with the 80% council lease only structural problems are yours, council are obliged to handle the rest. You’ve no empty months, broken dishwashers etc to handle.

plus you can tie in for 25 years, so even if policy changes it won’t take effect until after the agreement ends. And the underlying assets (should) appreciate in that time also.

wondering at what yield you would say it makes sense for you?

Back