Aerlingus seating policy

bond-007

Just home from LAX on AL.

Just want to query their seating policies. It seems that when you book there is no way to alter your seating assignments. Found this out when I turned up first in line to check in. We wanted to get the emergency exit seats instead of the cramped seats assigned by the website. Person on check in was unhelpful. Said it can't be altered.

Problem is that that AL won't give you a choice of seats when you book. All the premium ones will eg BA.

What is wrong with AL? Are they the transatlantic ryanair?

When I booked I was given assigned seats in the email. I didn't want these seats so I rang the customer service people and they changed them for me. I ended up in the seat in front of the middle toilets, which was great having nobody behind me, but unfortunately some old b*tch smoked in the toilet so I had to put up with the stink of cigarettes for about an hour or two of the journey.

Having worked in the industry before they CAN change seating assignments. You just met someone who was being awkward and couldn't be bothered.

Lauren said:
Having worked in the industry before they CAN change seating assignments. You just met someone who was being awkward and couldn't be bothered.
I woder if I should fire off a complaint letter to AL?

Lauren said:

Would have to agree here. There's pretty much nothing within the airline industry regarding flights and seating that can't be changed.

You just need to get the right person and hit it right with your tone of niceness/desparation/firmness depending on the person and the situation.

I've had seats changed, flights changed earlier, later and even next day, without any problems and without extra charges.

Personally I wouldn't bother complaining in this situation - there's nothing they can actually do for you this time around.

Now that you know what you can do and get away with, you'll know better for the next person next time around. If you get no satisfaction next time around, complain there and then on the spot. Well maybe not complain, but possibly escalate.

Are Aer Lingus obliged to allow you to change seats? If it's discretionary on their part, I don't think you are entitled to anything.

On a related topic....if you are going to use the LA airport code you should also use the Aer Lingus code. EI and not AL

alligator said:
On a related topic....if you are going to use the LA airport code you should also use the Aer Lingus code. EI and not LA
Just for accuracy EI is the designated code for Aer Lingus. LAX is the code for Los Angeles International. Have a look here
and [broken link removed]

Purely out of noseyness sake can anyone explain how they can change your seats if everyone else's seats have been allocated also. Does this entail upsetting other people?

Some years ago a friend paid the top-up fee on a summer holiday to choose their seats as they had very young children with them. When they arrived the seats had not been held and a long argument arose. They actually wanted very young children to sit on their own and it was only when other passengers offered to move (to avoid further delay) that the problem was solved.

Who's the 'they' in the bolded segment - the parents or the airline? ;-)

Cahir said:
I ended up in the seat in front of the middle toilets, which was great having nobody behind me, but unfortunately some old b*tch smoked in the toilet so I had to put up with the stink of cigarettes for about an hour or two of the journey.
Amazing - Didn't the smoke alarm go off? Did you or anyone else alert the staff? What flight duration was this?

sueellen said:
Purely out of noseyness sake can anyone explain how they can change your seats if everyone else's seats have been allocated also. Does this entail upsetting other people?

That's what I was wondering. I'd say that airlines only allow people to change seats if the flight is not full.

The flight was not full at all. I bet i got a jobsworth. I will just boycott EI in the future.

RainyDay said:
Amazing - Didn't the smoke alarm go off? Did you or anyone else alert the staff? What flight duration was this?

Nope, didn't go off. I called one of the stewards as did the person in the first row behind the toilets. About three of them went to the toilet and then got some device to check the alarm. Then a while later the pilot made an announcement that someone had been smoking in the toilets and this is forbidden blah blah blah. I described the old woman to them and I think they knew who it was but didn't say anything to her.

The flight was from Dublin/Shannon to Boston with about 2-3 hours left on the flight when she smoked.

When a flight is full, to accomodate a specific request I have seen occasions where airlines will move already allocated passengers even if it inconveniences them. For example on long haul flights passengers who need cot space for babies will get them even if the seat was originally allocated to someone who wanted additional leg space. Therefore if you are on a flight for example from London to Sydney, and you have specifically asked for the extra leg room, a family with a baby will get priority even if you have your boarding pass. You can be moved at the discretion of the airline.

I do understand though that some airlines (I've only heard of it on charter/package deal types) will actually charge extra for extra legroom seats which is a total rip off!

Bond you mentioned making a complaint to aer lingus - It is not possible to speak to anyone in Aer LIngus to make a complaint. You can only cax or write. The fax number is constantly engaged - I had it on redial for two days ! I posted a letter of complaint 6 weeks ago and have yet to receive an acknowledgement. Their own customer service staff told me that I would ahve long forgotten the complaint before I get a reply ! Now wouldn't we all like to able to deal with customer complaints like that !!!!

I used to work for an airline and the seats near the emergency exit were never booked in advance, they were only allocated by the checking staff who decide if the person was fit enough to fullfil the requirement of this type of seats.

Do you have these contact details? Nothing to loose by firing off a complaint.

I used to work for an airline and the seats near the emergency exit were never booked in advance, they were only allocated by the checking staff who decide if the person was fit enough to fullfil the requirement of this type of seats.

That's excatly my thoughts on it. I shall mention that.

Samantha said:

Hey Samantha - I've always wondered about this. I'm quite a tall lassie and nearly always get seated beside exit (lucky me). Is this so I can open the doors in an emergency? Is it true they never put a lil ol lady beside the emergency exit?