Aer Lingus Planes

Purple

I'm just back from a work trip to America. I flew with Aer Lingus to Chicago. The plane on the way over was dirty, smelly and old. The sink in the toilet I used was blocked right after take off. The paint on and around the toilet seat was cracked and flaking off. The soap dispenser didn't work and the paper towel dispenser on the wall was broken and open and by the end of the flight there was a carpet of wat urine covered paper towels on the floor.

As is usually the case with Aer Lingus within Europe they ran out of food. This time it was the hot meals on a long haul flight. Can they not count the number of passengers on the plane before they take off? The food they did have was really low quality.

The seat next to me was sticky with a black chewing gum type blob. It was the worst long haul flight I have taken in decades. I know that Aer Lingus is just British Airway's low cost subsidiary now but I don't think cleaning the plane is too much to ask.

The plane on the way back was the usual low standard Aer Lingus and while it was far from clean it wasn't smelly.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Aer lingus have taken sweating the ould assets to new levels, planes are rarely clean, always need to disinfect the tray and armrests myself on sitting down. Planes are always dirty from previous passengers.

Hello,

Did you make a complaint to AL?

If so, what have they said in response?

I flew with them recently, within Europe - plane was relatively clean on both journeys, but in both cases they didn't have most of the selection of food advertised.

Haven't run out of food on Aer Lingus transatlantic. But have noted the elderly nature of some Aer Lingus Airbus A330s on the transatlantic routes. Some of these planes are well over 20 years old. Broken seats, passengers having to be moved. Antiquated, and sometimes broken, in flight entertainment systems, as mine was on a recent AL flight to Miami, and so on. No WiFi. The single aisle A321s in use on some AL destinations, e.g. Hartford, are much newer, brand new in some cases, and way more comfortable. For Chicago, I would consider American Airlines, they often put a 787 Dreamliner on that route.

It a good job they don't take a similar approach to the engine maintenance.

There’s an old joke about a couple of folks on a plane who hear the captain successively announce that they’ve lost one, two, then three engines. Each time, he reassures the passengers that they’re OK, but will be progressively later to land. After the losing the third engine, one passenger tells the other, “If the last one goes, we’ll be up here all night!”

And this reminds me of the old Woody Alan joke about the two old ladies in the restaurant in the Catskills...

"The food in here is terrible".
"Yes, and the portions are so small too."