aer lingus cancelled flights.

We, as a people, should really question the need as to why we need a middleman to hold our hand on simple things like booking a flight or finding a mortgage
I agree with you 100%.

Why must we use middlemen for everything? As said it is a typically Irish attitude.

There used to be a certain UK based tour operator that had an exclusive agent here that you had to use. Of course you could not get the same prices and you had to take their own very expensive insurance, of course any insurance you had yourself was not good enough for them. Well feck that is what I said and I booked direct myself using a friends address in the UK. Saved an absolute fortune doing that.

With the internet the travel agent is a thing of the past.

Hold on Guys. We need Travel Agents. Even the internet needs competition. It gets back to the town with two petrol stations. One sells petrol cheaper than the other. That one does all the business and consequently the dearer one closes down. Now the town has one petrol station and Guess What? - They can now charge as much as they like. We need Travel Agents.

I have found that when something goes wrong when you book through a travel agent they always answer - it was the airline/hotel etc. Infact the reason I started booking things myself was that I was very badly let down on a holiday I booked & was offered a 30 Euro voucher for my trouble! I also have found that I can get a better class of accomodation abroad booking myself than with a travel agent - at a fraction of the cost. So no - I don't believe we do need travel agents anymore - so Byeee

There is an advert in yesterdays Irish Times for a cooking holiday in Tuscany. One of the selling points offered was "Free use of hotel swimming pool" and another "Free time for shopping including a possible visit to the beautiful city of Florence"

WoW!

I do not think brokers are a uniquely Irish thing. They may be more common here as Ireland is still a remote backwater and is only trying to catch up with what has been the standard in Europe for a while in many ways. Travel agents and the like were the norm everywhere - and countries are moving away from them at different paces.

Actually I agree with much of what "undo" writes (and surprisingly well for a techno nerd! Paragraphs and general syntax fine. Get an irish passport.).

I've said it before - bad/lazy travel agents should disappear. Clever ones can make a living without ripping off people -as long as the government stops adding taxes, fees,compulsary audits and high bonding and, soon VAT, to our business.
A level-playing field with internet providers would be fairer.

Anyway, why would people pay us for just booking a flight ?
Well, in comes a family or a couple wanting to get to ABC for a funeral, wedding, college interview (a lot recently) or (a hell of a lot recently) job interviews.
They don't have creidt cards -along with half the population. Or maybe,increasingly nowadays, they owe too much on their cards.
Assuming they have computers and know how to use the internet they may have seen a flight to ABC for ,say,70 or 180 or whatever euros each return.

Can we book it for them please ?

Well,a few points:-
1) when it's two or more pax we may not book all of them together. Oten when we split the booking at least one person is at a cheaper fare. Sometimes three out of four of the group are at the cheaper fare and the last one at the dearer fare.

You already know how to do that . Most people don't.

It means a lot of seperate bookings which is a drag but it saves money.

2)In many cases people don't know about alternative airports. They'll ask to go to XYZ and the fare is crazy.But fifty miles is another airport where they can fly for much less and get the connecting train which we provide details of.

3)They may need one or a few nights in a local hotel. Nothing posh-often a B&B. We book a local cheapy that we know is O.K. They often ask for bus and train details to get to their particular destinations. Besides all the usual questions that I often see on travel blogs aboyt luggage, pasports etc.

4)We also do the online check-in for Ryanair and will do for any other airline.

I charge 30 euros for one person and a decreasing scale for two or more,like 15 euros per person if there's four of them.
(Remember I may have saved them a lot by a couple of tricks like splitting the booking. Also I split the outbounds and returns to non-Euro destinations because of currency savings. That is, its sometimes cheaper to book the outbound in euro and the inbound in sterling,dollars etc.)

For those who get pleasure seeking deals on the intenet and like spending time saving money the the internet is great.Especially when they travel a lot,know the nasty "traps" on airline websites.

For the many people this is not the case. Many people only go abroad once every year -or less.

Incredibly -to you - many people come in and like chatting , not only about their travel plans but about their kids, houses, the state of the economy or the price of beer.
We get to know them and what they like. And we know that if we rip them off in this area we wouldn't last long.

However, as I said, with increasing govnt charges,fees and approaching VAT I know that i won't be around for ever.

P.S. On a small connected point....
This is what many travel agents find typical of some customers....
... a local businesman, big flash car, will order a fifty euro wine in restaurants.
Asks for a holiday to XYZ with various specifications. We find it and spend time getting the info. We charge him 1.500 and give him all details.

Comes back and says his secretary (Mrs Undo ?) has looked up all the details and can get it 80 euros cheaper. Can we knock off 80 and he'll book with us.

It's not the 80 euro -especially for him. It's the fact someone else is making money,forgetting the fact he or his scretary has spent time and effort finding the details (or in this cAse we spent time and he expects us to do it for nowt).

Anyway, I've gained some more insight into anti-travel agent sentiment much of which is understandable -and rather than rail at the Gods I should attempt to keep this business open longer by providing better value and service.

Now, off to pretend to work this week.......

Listen, no one is forcing you to use a Travel Agent.

If you have buckets of time to research and investigate all the various options and prices, good for you.

I could change the spark plugs on my car and probably do a half decent job servicing it, but I prefer using my leisure time for other pursuits ( similar to what OldNick used to do in the evenings!).

Same goes for maybe Gardening, Cleaning etc etc

Agents work on between 5 and 10% depending on the value of the booking. Not everyone wants to or can work to the schedules of Low Cost carriers ( you only get €30 fares on lousy days/lousy timings) and can hang around waiting for the next expedia $40 deal.

Back