Advice on where to buy in Dublin?

MollieK

I am currently looking to buy somewhere around the M50 that would mean I wouldn't have to face a nightmare commute when I eventually secure a permanent position. Most job opportunities for me will be located from Liffey Valley to Sandyford. The budget is about €450K, but could stretch a bit more if location was right. Any up and coming areas that would fit the bill???

Re: Advice on where to buy in Dublin???

Mollie
Are you looking for a house or an apartment? Any kids?

Alot would depend on what your needs are. Number of bedrooms, house, family etc? Young free and single and wanting to be near town etc...

MollieK said:
I am currently looking to buy somewhere around the M50 that would mean I wouldn't have to face a nightmare commute when I eventually secure a permanent position. Most job opportunities for me will be located from Liffey Valley to Sandyford. The budget is about €450K, but could stretch a bit more if location was right. Any up and coming areas that would fit the bill???

Sorry, should have clarified my circumstances. I am young, free and single, so don't want to be too far off the beaten track. I would prefer a house, but if location is right could go for an apartment/duplex. Ideally I would like to have three bedrooms so that if the financial situation is gloomy that I could avail of the rent a room scheme and still have a place for guests.
Looking forward to your advice.

If you are looking for a house the Firhouse/Ballycullen area would be just about in your price range.Nice areas with young families/coules Midway between Liffey Valley and Sandyford. very close to M50

Kingswood in Tallaght is also a good area. Has the Green Luas line with its own stop and directly beside M50, N7

If you wanted to live closer to Sandyford you might find it more difficult to find a house for that price. However there are a number of Apartment complex's (Beacon Court being one) that are good quality and you also have the Red luas line which is a much shorter commute time to town than the Green Line

Hi Mollie, my friend just bought a lovely duplex in Tyrellstown which is close to Blanchardstown and the motorways.

Also I think if you look at Adamstown as these are all developing and should be great places to live/invest in!

Clondalkin Village, Close to m50, Close to Luas, Close to shops and well establised.

GoldDigga said:
If you are looking for a house the Firhouse/Ballycullen area would be just about in your price range.Nice areas with young families/coules Midway between Liffey Valley and Sandyford. very close to M50

Kingswood in Tallaght is also a good area. Has the Green Luas line with its own stop and directly beside M50, N7

If you wanted to live closer to Sandyford you might find it more difficult to find a house for that price. However there are a number of Apartment complex's (Beacon Court being one) that are good quality and you also have the Red luas line which is a much shorter commute time to town than the Green Line

Goldigga you're mixing up the two luas lines there sandyford is the green and tallaght the red. I dont know much anything about the quality of Beacon Court and they are well situated for the green (shorter) luas line, however they are effectively in an industrial estate which wouldnt appeal to me : ( I have heard nothing bad about firhouse/ballycullen and they are handy for the M50 but is the M50 not basically a car park! : )

I certainly wouldnt pay 450K for a house in either area though I know prices are steep enough no house is worth that much, you have to have a life too especially when single! : )

Samson26 said:
Hi Mollie, my friend just bought a lovely duplex in Tyrellstown which is close to Blanchardstown and the motorways.

Also I think if you look at Adamstown as these are all developing and should be great places to live/invest in!

Isn't blanchardstown a bit far out, unless you're working unsociable hours, i.e. off-peak? Plus it hasnt got the best name in the world at the moment (no offence to anyone in Blanchardstown) and I am friendly with some people in Blanch

colc1 said:
( I have heard nothing bad about firhouse/ballycullen and they are handy for the M50 but is the M50 not basically a car park! : )

I certainly wouldnt pay 450K for a house in either area though I know prices are steep enough no house is worth that much, you have to have a life too especially when single! : )

The M50 may be a car park a lot of the time, but Mollie's original thread was about properties around M50 for 450K.

I do agree though with your view that if you are young free and single, you do not need to bog yourself down with mortgage repayments for a house that is far too big for one person.

GoldDigga said:
The M50 may be a car park a lot of the time, but Mollie's original thread was about properties around M50 for 450K.

sorry yeah I see why suggested that now I was thinking about the M50 part of her question

If you're young free and single and given the other things into consideration, have you thought about Inchicore? Near the M50, near town, handy to the Luas, and there's a regeneration project there so it may be a good place to buy even as an investment

Sunster said:
If you're young free and single and given the other things into consideration, have you thought about Inchicore? Near the M50, near town, handy to the Luas, and there's a regeneration project there so it may be a good place to buy even as an investment

I think Inchicore is quite expensive(The LUAS factor and proximity to town.)

I would consider LUCAN, Clondalkon or Tallaght.

In Lucan 2 new train stations are due next year and the Kildare line is to be upgraded to 4 lines. There are proposals for a LUAS line (in 10years?) for Lucan. These should uplift the prices in years to come.

I think Tallaght and Inchicore have already uplifted because of the LUAS.

If you work as far as Sandyford then I think if you can find an area in Tallaght which you like then that might be the best for commuting.

Best thing to do may be take a drive around and see what areas you can see yourself living in. make a list, and then do a search on Myhome, sherryfitz or one of the other websites, and work from there.
If you are young free and single now, you're best buying for the present, and waiting for a luas line in 10 years won't matter. You never know in the next couple of years you might meet someone, sell up and look to buy again elsewhere. In the meantime, buy the best you can afford in the most convenient location to your lifestyle.

Sunster said:
If you are young free and single now, you're best buying for the present, and waiting for a luas line in 10 years won't matter.

Who's suggesting he/she waits ten years for a LUAS line??

The thread starter seems to be taking a sensible approach and is trying to purchase in an area convenient for future jobs but with best chance of capital appreciation. I would favour the thread starter's approach than just buying for the present as you suggest.

Point taken about the original thread. Kind of advice my dad would give me.

Hi all.
thanks a lot for all your advice. I was looking around Lucan, but think it could be a difficult commute to Sandyford unless I make an early start.
I'll take your collective advice and target areas I like. And look to buy for the present in the best area possible.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Maura.

Hi Mollie

I live in Ballycullen and until recently was working in Sandyford. By using the back roads it took me on average 30 minutes to get to Sandyford in the mornings and about 15 minutes home via the M50 in the evenings.

A former colleague who lived in Lucan negotiated a 8am start and 4pm finish. It took about 45 minutes.

A friend commutes from Chapelizod and it takes about 50/60 minutes each way.

Hope this helps.

As a Clonsilla resident, working in Sandyford, I would not recommend Lucan at all.

Getting on to the M50 is the problem (not the M50 per se) in the morning. Once you're on, you're fine until you get off in Sandyford, which is another 30 mins delay from the M50 to the estate.
Coming home is just a nightmare.

You'd be far better with somewhere in the city (if affordable) and commuting outwards, the traffic in the city is quite light compared to the M50 environs.

Inchicore, Rialto with all the upcoming investment and infrastructure improvements, would seem like an excellent choice.
Chapelizod is a village I like as well.

You should use one of Sandyford's benefits .... The Luas !

Back