Advice on car from uk

By ringing your insurance company and giving them the details of the car including UK registration number.

Edit: Cross Post with @Leo 's

How do you get insurance cover on an imported car before the VRT is paid and the Irish reg plates are acquired?

Any car i've brought in, your own insurance company will transfer to for 30 days to allow you organize VRT. Then you just call with the new Irish Reg.

Ok thanks folks, sounds straightforward for a transfer of insurance. My daughter, who doesn't have a car is thinking of buying one in Northern Ireland but she's only a name driver on my wife's car ! Will insurance companies here quote her on a NI reg car and then allow her to update details after VRT and Irish plates are acquired?

I also meant to ask if anyone is familiar with the exemptions for VRT if bringing a car that has been owned in the UK for more than 6mths. Thanks

There was an article in the newspaper that 1 in 5 imported cars have been clocked, just be aware of this

There was an article in the newspaper that 1 in 5 imported cars have been clocked, just be aware of this

Thanks roker, i’ll have a read of it. The intention would be to purchase via PCP via a dealer. Tho i’m curious as to whether anyone has imported via this method

I’d be curious what the figures are for the number of secondhand cars in Ireland that have been clocked, I suspect there’s little difference. Sounds a little like Irish auto industry scaremongering.

I also meant to ask if anyone is familiar with the exemptions for VRT if bringing a car that has been owned in the UK for more than 6mths. Thanks

VRT exemptions are documented here. You will need to provide documentation that proves beyond doubt that the car has been owned by you for 6+ months and you are transferring your country of residence.

If the PCP contract is not yet over then you don't legally own the car yet so would that not be an issue with the 6+month ownership point? However would the bigger question here not be with the dealer? I'm not sure a dealer would allow the car to leave the country permanently before the PCP contract is settled.

If I recall correctly, the usual guarantee period that came with the car (e.g. three years) when new does not transfer to Ireland. I think the manufacturer will only honour one year from new. When I moved home from UK in 2000, my 6 month old VW Golf "lost" it's three year guarantee!

"dealer would allow the car to leave the country permanently before the PCP contract is settled."

As long as the montly payment is made how would they know?

I think you only have 6 months to re register UK reg car & that would be the bigger issue I would think?

If I recall correctly, the usual guarantee period that came with the car (e.g. three years) when new does not transfer to Ireland. I think the manufacturer will only honour one year from new. When I moved home from UK in 2000, my 6 month old VW Golf "lost" it's three year guarantee!

Any BMW i've bought in the UK gets additional warranty here. Joe Duffy and Frank Keane will honor the 3rd year here on UK imports and also the service packs.

Hi, thanks for all the valuable advise so far. Give the changes applicable since 2020 with NOx, I’m attempting to assess my potential future liability.

I’m looking at changing my car in the near term. In using the VRT calculator on the Revenue website, a two year old Q5 depending on spec could be liable nearly €15k.

Am I correct in saying that if this is my property in the UK before I transfer my residency back to Ireland I will be exempt on this. I note that were I in the fortunate position to be able to buy a new one I would also be liable to VAT as it could be under 5km and les than 6months old?

Appreciate any input. Thanks

Details of the reliefs available on transfer of residency here, including the level of detail required to prove you did live outside the state.

Thanks Leo.

It really is an eye opener when you see the level of VRT applied!

On a separate point, would people expect to see significant discounts by dealers when business returns to normal

Back