Advice needed re. no beneficiaries named in Will.

E

Essosmokey

I was wondering what happens if there is an executor of a will, but no beneficiaries name in the will? I am the executor of my brother's will, but he does not name any beneficiaries.

Thank you

That is odd. Why would he write a will at all if he didn't want to specify who his property went to when he died? What does the will say if it doesn't say that?

If he did have property and its not mentioned in the Will, then intestacy laws apply. They kick in where there is no will at all, and this would be treated like that. His assets go to his next of kin. If he was married with kids, 1/3 goes to his spouse & 2/3 to his children. If there are no kids, it all goes to the surviving spouse. If there is no spouse but there are kids, it will be divided equally between them. If he was single/childless, parents would be considered his next of kin, then his siblings.

Is this a home made will? As in it was not drafted by a solicitor? Other than you, a sibling, who else is his nearest relations? And sorry for the circumstances.

I was wondering what happens if there is an executor of a will, but no beneficiaries name in the will? I am the executor of my brother's will, but he does not name any beneficiaries.

Thank you

Hi. Welcome to AAM. Has your brother actually passed away or have you been told that you will be executor? Have you seen the will?

I have my doubts about whether a document such as Essosmokey describes can be described as a will, given that the core purpose of a will is to stipulate how property is to be disposed of.

Back