ACC Bank looking for €400 Euro for bank statements

Presumable if you word your request correctly the bank is obliged to give you all data they have on you. Everything. Remember that banks destroy their records/microfiches after a certain amount of time.

I don't see it as a loophole at all... the Act shouldn't be designed to force companies to provide info at a loss...

I've thought of some other examples..
An interior designer produces a design and wants 600 Euro to provide it... can you request it for 6.35 under the Act?

A dietition / nutrionist (spelling is terrible!) produces a personalised diet plan.. and wants 100 Euro, can you request it for 6.35?

A photographer takes a family portrait.. and wants 600 Euro.. can a copy be requested for 6.35?

Ok, so in all the above cases the company can probably choose to destroy the data rather than provide it for 6.35.. but there doesn't seem to be an exemption for those industries in the Act.. so they may only have the choice to destroy the photos, plans etc, or else provide them for 6.35.. which would drive them out of business...

The case of the bank is similar.. they are only holding your data because you're choosing to bank with them under their own terms and conditions... so I feel the Act shouldn't apply to duplicate bank statements... in the same way it shouldn't apply to photographers, or interior designers, or tax consultants, life coaches etc etc...

Cheers so

If you have a dispute with a bank you will require all documentation to fight your case, some of this you may not have, including bank statements, and the bank will have, so I see nothing incorrect with asking a bank for it. Based on banks long term overcharging and dishonourable conduct the least they can do is provide documentation when needed at a minimum cost.

Back