ACC Bank looking for €400 Euro for bank statements

OkeyDokey

Folks,

My brother in law is going through a legal separation and his Bank ACC are looking for €400 to provide bank statements for the previous six years. It seems very excessive.

I suggested applying for online banking but I suspect it doesn't go back that far.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks

It would seem that this is part of a discovery request so he will have to provide the full six years of bank statements. All banks charge a fee for duplicate statements and there isn't any way around that I'm afraid. He could maybe print the online statements as far back as they go, have them stamped by ACC bank and order the remaining statements but there won't be much of a saving there.

As said before and said again. Use the Data Protection Acts to get the information.

How much is it to request something like this under the Data Protection Act??

I'd assume you make it as one request, rather than for each statement

"any information relating to a/c 1234567 from 1st Jan 03 to present"

As oppossed to requesting Jan 03, Feb 03, March 03 etc....

+1 Sam H

One request would cover everything. If you feel they have left something out, you would need to get in touch and point that out.

If they don't co-operate go to the Data Protection Commisioner

Is there no "tip of the day" or "tip of the year" feature on Askaboutmoney to highlight this?

Well done Towger.

Brendan

Hmmm.. I believe the bank will resist this. They have already provided the statements over time and they will lose money if forced to provide 100's of pages of statements for 6.35.

While there doesn't seem to be an explicit exemption for bank statements they will probably try to make one up,.. I know I would. One possible approach they may take is that they are not oblidged to service multiple requests under the Act 'unless a reasonable time has passed'.. I don't think this is what they'll use.. more likely they'll say something else... possibly they'll say that it's a condition of the bank account terms and conditions that duplicate statements are 3.00 a page or whatever, and that that clause takes precendence over the Data Protection Act in this case...

To be honest I don't know.. I'd be very interested in hearing about how the bank respond to this... I think they'll refuse and force the OP to complain to the Data Protection Comms.. who will then side with the bank I'd imagine.. I could obviously be wrong, I'm not sure at all really...

I think most banks charge 6 euros per statement, so if you are getting montly statements its not implausible that could come to 400 euros.

12*5=60 at a rate of 6 per statement would come to 360 euros.

Plus its a lot of paperwork.

why 6 years for discovery, do you have court order or is it voluntary disclosure for 6 years as from my experience it is usually 3 years .

why do people not keep their statements?

printing duplicates is time-consuming and a painstaking manual process if microfiche is involved.

Many thanks for all of the replies. My brother in law's solicitor asked him to provide all statements from when they took out their mortgages. The have a home and business mortgage. There is a dispute over how much each contributed.

He asked the bank for all statements going back six years. They said that they could provide statements for the past 12 months free of charge however the previous five years would cost just under €400.

My wife phoned the data protection commissioner's office and a lady there indicated that statements do not fall under the provisions of the data protection act. She described it as a loophole and stated that because statements were sent out already then that information had already been provided. The cost is around €6.

Can they prove the statements were posted? I've had statements posted to the wrong address and also sent to the branch for me and never forwarded until I chased up on it.

OkeyDokey;946168She described it as a loophole and stated that because statements were sent out already then that information had already been provided. The cost is around €6.[/quote said:
You have to word it correctly, you are not using the act to look for 'statements', but the transactional data of the bank accounts etc

You have to word it correctly, you are not using the act to look for 'statements', but the transactional data of the bank accounts etc

But then you aren't going to get a full six years of bank statements are you?