A3 is only a Golf etc

Interesting points made. This seems to be more of a A3 v Golf thread now. I may as well weigh in. I have owned the TT for 2 years and before that the previous body A3. The TT you can argue is another golf underneath but anyway I now drive the 06 Golf GTI. I've actually driven the new A3- - test drove it for a week.
In my opinion for the Audi, it a a great car, lovelovely looking, very well built and put together with superior materials used. As a result its alot heavier which affects its performance and handling round corners. I found the ride quite lofty and the steering lacking feedback.
The Golf GTI which I have with the DSG box I think is a fantastic car for the money. The ride and handling is excellent and actually I think its a much better car than the TT (whose suspension was so stiff gave me back trouble). The seats in the GTI are super comfortable. Switches are familira with the audi, and every other car from the VW group and the materials not as solid or luxurious as the audi for sure. Couple of creaks setting in. I've had not problems with the car so in my first year of it I would have to say its been very reliable for me.
I've read great reviews for the Skodas and if you actually read the new 'Driver Power results, skodas are much more reliable than both VW and Audis. I remember my audi 's clutch failing me on christmas eve...goodness that caused alot of frustration.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/

Given like the other makes, the group shares similar parts however the quality of materials, weight of car, ride and handling set up and of course design are very different. I guess resale value and how one wants to be percieved I guess ahs much to do with it. It's like the Rolex v Omega watch arguement.

The new GTI Golf is a class leader. Its so good, its not really representative of the rest of the range. IMO.

Yea the GTI is excellent....as is the the focus ST in that class of car and the Civc Type R, close run thing but depends on your personal taste.

Back