a Lisbon question before i decide

the real fun will start in a few years when turkey...with its huge muslim population gets to join! i wonder will it still be laughably called the 'European Union'

the real fun will start in a few years when turkey...with its huge muslim population gets to join! i wonder will it still be laughably called the 'European Union'

Actually, Turkey still has a long way to go in terms of meeting the criteria on human rights and over legal issues.

However, how would a huge muslim population make any difference?

What? Are you serious? Here's the list of Member States, please indicate which ones have unelected heads of state (bearing in mind that democratically elected representative bodies is one of the core requirements of membership to the EU).

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Czech Republic
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
[FONT=Arial,Arial]United Kingdom
[/FONT]

The following EU States from the list above have unelected Heads of State:

Belgium
Denmark
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

The fact that the EU capital is located in one of these States shows how much regard the EU has for democracy.

Yes we get dummy decisions from the courts, we get dummy ones here in the Supreme Court as you say (though that’s the Supreme Court making a decision not the ECJ). Yes they made the decision regarding the Polish workers (one for the employers), but they’ve also set ones for employees (such as a recent decision on Working Time). Again, courts are like that, some you win some you lose. It’s no different to our own Courts other than adding an avenue to appeal.
The difference is that we can undo a decision of the Irish Supreme Court by way of Referendum, something we can't do with the ECJ. Should the ECJ continue to undermine wages by allowing imported workers to undercut local minimum wages (as they have already done) or interpret the Charter's Right to Dignity in a manner to legalise euthanasia or the decide availability of Services should trump any protocol prohibiting abortion or that our tax regime is in a distortion of competition . . then our politicians will say that their hand are tied . . and ask 'sure anyway didn't the people vote for it?'

The difference is that we can undo a decision of the Irish Supreme Court by way of Referendum, something we can't do with the ECJ. Should the ECJ continue to undermine wages by allowing imported workers to undercut local minimum wages (as they have already done) or interpret the Charter's Right to Dignity in a manner to legalise euthanasia or the decide availability of Services should trump any protocol prohibiting abortion or that our tax regime is in a distortion of competition . . then our politicians will say that their hand are tied . . and ask 'sure anyway didn't the people vote for it?'

How do the ECJ undermine wages by allowing imported workers undercut local minimum wages? Its rubbish to suggest that the ECJ allows companies here to ignore national minimum wage legislation.

How do the ECJ undermine wages by allowing imported workers undercut local minimum wages? Its rubbish to suggest that the ECJ allows companies here to ignore national minimum wage legislation.
Of course that's not what I said. I said 'undermine wages'. The ECJ, with reference to the Charter which becomes legally binding after Lisbon, already allows foreign companies to import workers and pay less than local minimum wage. This puts local companies at a disadvantage and our minimum wage starts to look like an obstacle to job creation. Our Government has already said that they will tackle the minimum wage if it becomes an obstacle to employment. It's a vicious circle which puts the right to a profit ahead of the right to a decent wage.

Of course that's not what I said. I said 'undermine wages'. The ECJ, with reference to the Charter which becomes legally binding after Lisbon, already allows foreign companies to import workers and pay less than local minimum wage. This puts local companies at a disadvantage and our minimum wage starts to look like an obstacle to job creation. Our Government has already said that they will tackle the minimum wage if it becomes an obstacle to employment. It's a vicious circle which puts the right to a profit ahead of the right to a decent wage.

No it doesn't allow companies to import workers and pay them less. They must be paid the national minimum wage set in legislation or are entitled to the same benefits under any legally binding collective agreements. What precedent allows that? You might be referring to the Laval case in Sweden but you should read up on it again because that is not what the ECJ ruled.

The following EU States from the list above have unelected Heads of State:

Belgium
Denmark
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom

The fact that the EU capital is located in one of these States shows how much regard the EU has for democracy.

Touché. However, hardly the “most” you stated. And considering the all have democratically elected systems of governance by which their heads of state are accountable to the citizens, hardly a bunch of despots.

One decision by the ECJ that was hamstrung because of the current provisions. Not to say those provisions change under Lisbon, but they can change through the EU process. However, there have been plenty of “worker friendly” decisions, plenty. So to say that they are focused on reducing wages is misleading.

Ifs, buts and maybes. I guess despite of wording that means this can’t happen is irrelevant. I suppose clear statements that would be binding on ratification aren’t enough.

No it doesn't allow companies to import workers and pay them less. They must be paid the national minimum wage set in legislation or are entitled to the same benefits under any legally binding collective agreements. What precedent allows that? You might be referring to the Laval case in Sweden but you should read up on it again because that is not what the ECJ ruled.
Indeed. I'm afraid you are wrong on all counts. I'm referring to the Rüffert case were the minimum was was indeed undercut and this was sanctioned by the ECJ.

Actually, Turkey still has a long way to go in terms of meeting the criteria on human rights and over legal issues.

However, how would a huge muslim population make any difference?
you will find it wont be as long as you think! ...rapid expansion seems to be the new 'order of the day'

In hindsight my original reply to the Rüffert case was misleading and intened to flame the discussion. I've since had a smoke and a coffee and feel I erred. I've kept it posted below though, but it should be ignored.

Indeed. I'm afraid you are wrong on all counts. I'm referring to the Rüffert case were the minimum was was indeed undercut and this was sanctioned by the ECJ.

It's actually a good case to use to actually disprove your own point, when you give the full facts. Largely because there is negotiation and discussion to legislate for the implications...though unions have missed a very big point.

The collective agreement that was said to be in place (stating that contractors will pay at the agreed minimum rate) wasn't actually officially sanctioned under German law, so it turns out this was all huff. The ruling is that if I'm a Polish contractor and I tender for work in Ireland, sending over my employees to that state, then I pay them at the rates I agreed in their initial contracts. I don't suddenly have to pay them at the Irish minimum wage. I'm sorry, but that's just common sense.

Oddly enough, for all the super state believers, here's a ECJ case that confirms the sovereignty of individual member states over so-called super state principles. As I say, good case to pick.

It doesn't affect domestic workers, only workers posted abroad.

There's move to get the Posted Workers Directive ammended, but this makes no sense. The opposite effect of the union's calls is that if I work for an Irish employer and am then posted to Poland, I'd have to be paid at the Polish minimum wage, i.e. take a pay cut.

In that case there was nothing the ECJ could do. There was no legally binding agreement, the employees had contracts in their native state which were agreed and legally binding.

Oddly enough, for all the super state believers, here's a ECJ case that confirms the sovereignty of individual member states over centralised Europe. Isn't that a good thing?

Last edited:

Again, read the case and judgement and tell me where it says people can be employed for less than the national minimum wage. Nobody can work in Ireland for less than the minimum wage. If the Government want to get some Polish firm to build a hospital and the firm send over a boat full of Polish workers, they have to be paid the Irish minimum wage as set out in our National Laws. Do you really think the trade unions would be supporting a yes vote if they thought the minimum wage could be disregarded by foreign firms?

I believe Michael O'Leary and Declan Ganley will be debating Lisbon on Prime Time tonight. Should be entertaining........

I believe Michael O'Leary and Declan Ganley will be debating Lisbon on Prime Time tonight. Should be entertaining........
Entertaining indeed. I like O'Leary, he has a brass neck and is usually a straight talker.

I hope they ask him how he can justify spending half a million euro of shareholders money promoting Lisbon, but hope they don't let him off with the "the shareholders will have to trust the Board" defence. No doubt Ganley will put it to him that he said, in Brussels after Lisbon 1, ‘‘It seems that only in the European Union, Ireland and Zimbabwe you are forced to vote twice, the vote should be respected. It is the only democratic thing to do.” ([broken link removed]) . . and that he's trying to curry favor with the EU for his Ryanair adventures.

I doubt O'Leary could be arsed reading up on the Treaty so I expect him to bluster his way through. Ganley should hold the upper hand on detail.

You hope!
Na, I doubt. I hope he has read up on it and we get a good debate.

It's the Yes campaign that avoids the detail . . Yes for Jobs . . Yes to Recovery . . Yes to Europe . . We Belong . . in reality there is nothing in the Treaty on which these things depend and it is disingenuous to suggest, as they are doing, that No to Lisbon means no to these things.

Then we have the likes of Padraig Walshe (IFA) telling Farmers to vote Yes because "we need access to the market 500m people", does he think that Farmers are stupid. And we have Pat Cox, former President of the European Parliament and 5/4 favorite to be next Irish EU Commissioner, telling us he is a non-political concerned citizen . . then trying to frighten people into a Yes with comments like, a No vote would be “wholly negative” and “We would be relegated to the second tier of a two-tier Europe along with Eurosceptic countries like Britain.” - The Yes campaign would sell their soul for a Yes vote.

It's the Yes campaign that avoids the detail . . Yes for Jobs . . Yes to Recovery . . Yes to Europe . . We Belong . . in reality there is nothing in the Treaty on which these things depend and it is disingenuous to suggest, as they are doing, that No to Lisbon means no to these things.

Then we have the likes of Padraig Walshe (IFA) telling Farmers to vote Yes because "we need access to the market 500m people", does he think that Farmers are stupid. And we have Pat Cox, former President of the European Parliament and 5/4 favorite to be next Irish EU Commissioner, telling us he is a non-political concerned citizen . . then trying to frighten people into a Yes with comments like, a No vote would be “wholly negative” and “We would be relegated to the second tier of a two-tier Europe along with Eurosceptic countries like Britain.” - The Yes campaign would sell their soul for a Yes vote.

Do we need to rehash the No campaigns oh so virtuous and accurate interpretation of the Treaty? Do we need to rehash just who some of these have sold their souls for votes to?

But will Ganley be cross examined on his alleged ulterior motives for advocating a No vote? Probably, but he won't give a straight answer.

The 'Yes' campaign may or may not be over exagerating the benefits of voting yes and the consequences of saying no but I for one see more positives than negatives.

The 'No' campaign on the other hand is using plain lies and fear for their agenda. You still haven't answered me where the ECJ has ruled that it is ok for the National Minimum Wage to be lowered. It's the problem with the 'No' campaign. It's all sweeping statements about minimum wages and abortion with no facts to back it up. Michael O Leary will wipe the floor with Declan Ganley because he is not politician.

Back