9000 to invest in irish shares

woddle

Hi I have just sold my house and based on information I've read in this forum I have come up with a plan to invest 7000 on 7 out of the top ten irish shares and another 2000 divided into four personal choices , is this a good idea and should I divide the 7000 up equally between the top 7 shares or is there some kind of formula to distribute the money in some kind of ratio process, my knowledge would be limited enough
cheers

I'd suggest that you're over diversifying. 11 trades to invest 9K will make your transaction costs very high. (22 trades really since you'll have to sell at some point)

not to sure what that is but I suppose I would like to be a bit more hands on and that I can select my seven out of top ten and then another 2000 euro designated to three or four even more personalised choices, I'm considering this option as I have another 70,000 to invest also but just want to start by safeguarding myself a little while I get some experience before I allocate more funds to different markets

not to sure what that is
Read the key posts and search this forum for details.
but I suppose I would like to be a bit more hands on and that I can select my seven out of top ten and then another 2000 euro designated to three or four even more personalised choices
Why? Bear in mind that thinking you or anybody else can pick winning stocks and trading frequently is probably a good way to lose rather than gain money.

with the 7 out of top ten, they would be part of a long term plan, I have no immediate need for the money back and I'm sure this next part may sound foolish but it seems like a bit of fun/hobby , where I can monitor them on my spare time and the three or four personal choices I suppose would be a anytime plan but pref long term also, this is all about part 1, where I learn how to do things, Don't touch them and learn for future investment with the rest of my money, I would love to know though is there some ratio for dividing up the money in accordance with each copanies % stake in the market

If you want fund and to learn a bit about shares then why not play with a fantasy portfolio of shares (some sites offer tools for managing these) and see how you get on? Could be a lot cheaper.

Back