4 years to investigate a complaint against a nurse

Purple I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who had strange expectations that the procedure should have been
Completed a lot quicker.
Meanwhile the persons career is on hold and it would take a very strong person not to be affected by such an event in their life. Her life is on hold also. There are documented, admitted shortcomings, on behalf of the hospital also.
Browtal

Purple I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who had strange expectations that the procedure should have been
Completed a lot quicker.
Meanwhile the persons career is on hold and it would take a very strong person not to be affected by such an event in their life. Her life is on hold also. There are documented, admitted shortcomings, on behalf of the hospital also.
Browtal
She should have closure one way of the other on this. To be honest, based on what you have outlined, she should never work as a nurse again and is lucky not to be facing criminal charges. That said she mightn't be the only one.

Leper,
You can't deny though that Purple's points would have a very big bearing on issues happening or not, as the case may be. People in certain jobs tend to brush things under the carpet so to speak. To me it's hugely surprising there's not many , many, more cases of negligence and far worse being brought against hospital staff and Dr's, ie, nurses and Dr's. Is it because everyone's minding one another?

We're talking about the time it takes from complaint to discipline i.e. 4 years. I'm merely pointing out that nurses are not the cause of this delay. It is in a nurse's favour to have any issue resolved asap. Brushing things under the carpet may have been happening in the past, but the culture now in all hospitals is that of openness. Nurses don't tend to put their registration at risk.

She was just warning me about what would happen, not threatening me.
It was hard enough to get the nurses to do anything at the best of times. If you called them they would have to finish their chat first.

You can do better than this Purple. This is a downright case of blackmail you were subjected to. I am surprised that you let matters lie.

Leper, are the same procedures used in Care Homes run by the HSE?
If so it is very hard to take them seriously.

HIQA is a very good development but they have a serious task ahead of them in changing the culture of complacency, unprofessionalism, unaccountability and ineptitude which seems to be endemic within just about every area of the Health Service.

Yes, Care Homes come under the same obligations as any hospital. Do you think they souldn't?

Complacency, unprofessionalism, unaccountability and ineptitude. Nurses cannot afford to be in any of those descriptions. There are exceptions of course. I have seen nurses dismissed, struck off, suspended. I have seen nurses just resign. But, the large majority of nurses are trustworthy and do their jobs well.

Next question please . . .

If I were you Leper I wouldn't be so dismissive of others opinions and as for your last "Next question please" might I say, We bow to you Oh Great Caesar:)

If I were you Leper I wouldn't be so dismissive of others opinions and as for your last "Next question please" might I say, We bow to you Oh Great Caesar:)

1. I answered the questions that were asked of me. I am not dismissive of anybody.

2. Furthermore, you don't have to bow to me or speak for others. I am sure they can speak for themselves. We can do without such comments. This is a serious subject.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this topic. I would like to consider the matter closed. Browtal

The sedation did not occur while the person was at work but while a patient in the same hospital for a different condition.

Back