38 years old with no pension overpaying mortgage

malcom

I've been overpaying my mortgage since I started it and the minimum repayments are now fairly comfortable. As I get closer to 40 and as I note mortgage interest rates are not as high as they were, I'm wondering am I making a mistake not taking advantage of tax benefits on pension contributions.

Spouse’s/Partner's age: n/a

Annual gross income from employment or profession: €80000
Annual gross income of spouse: n/a

Monthly take-home pay €5250 (including income from rent-a-room)

Type of employment: private sector

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Saving. I’m not too put out by not splurging for a few years.

Rough estimate of value of home €450000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: €95000
What interest rate are you paying? 2.75% - variable, 22 years left

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc None

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes

Savings and investments: €20,000

Do you have a pension scheme? No (no employer contribution)

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: none and no plans

Life insurance: Death in service and mortgage protection.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

I've read a lot of the posts on mortgage overpayment versus pensions. I’m very grateful for this website and the wealth of knowledge shared here. I’ve been drawn towards focusing on getting my mortgage well reduced/cleared. It is easy to do with a variable rate mortgage and I immediately see the difference. Pensions are that bit more complicated and somewhat riskier. I have a mortgage calculator on my phone and I can see if I’m on target to have it cleared in less than 3 years. Reducing the mortgage feels a bit like going on a diet that is working. I’ve kept a rainy day fund of 10K and pretty much everything else I’ve put into overpaying my mortgage. I spend a lot less this year on holidays, going out and clothes. I have no pension at all. My employer doesn’t offer any contribution towards one. I think my job is reasonably secure.

However, I’m now reviewing my situation. I’ve let an additional 10K build up. I’m now closer to 40 and interest rates are quite low. A lot of the justification for paying mortgage first seems to be from times when mortgage rates were higher. I’m wondering if pension should be given priority. Two extreme options are:
  1. Put the 10K into the mortgage and continue overpaying and aim to have it cleared by before I’m 41. Then max out tax-free my pension contribution for previous year (backdated) and subsequent years. Having no mortgage this should be easy to do.
  2. Forget about clearing my mortgage. Immediately put the 10K into maxing out my pension contribution for last year (I think I can do this before the end of October) and this year. Consider switching to the 1.95% fixed rate mortgage with Avant.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would go with option 2 all day. You have a very manageable mortgage on a good salary. if your mortgage was over €200,000 I might have a different view but as it stands you would be mad to pass up the available allowances for 2019 while they are still available.

Going forward you should be in a position to max your pension contributions and still overpay you’re mortgage on a monthly basis with your current income. Fair play to you.

Hi Malcom

I am the main advocate of paying down a high mortgage before contributing to a pension fund.

But you have done that. The LTV is 20%. The Loan to Income is just over 1. You have a fairly secure job.

You should be maxing your pension contributions at this stage.

Don't get hung up on clearing your mortgage within 3 years. So what if you still have a mortgage of €50k in three years?

Brendan

It's not obvious that you should switch to Avant.

Can you get a lower rate from your existing lender.

If, for example, you are on the AIB <50% variable rate of 2.75%, you can fix for 3 years at 2.35%

Switching to Avant would save you 0.4% of €95,000 or about €400 a year.

It will cost you about €1,000 up front in legal fees to switch. And the mortgage broker might charge you a fee as well.

I don't think that the savings justify it.

And, AIB might well reduce their rates further in response to Avant.

Brendan

Back