3.75% Return - Is that reasonable?

efm

Hi all,

Looking for some general opinions on an investment opportunity that may be available to me - both negative and positive as I am in two minds about this

I may have an opportunity to buy an investment property in Sth Dublin - as part of the deal the property will be managed by a property rental company - this company guarantees a minimum return of 3.75% per annum, based on the purchase price of the property, for ten years, and with a minimum number of return reviews over the ten years. This guarantee is contractual (i.e. written into a contract) and the company is a well-respected international property company with substantial assets.

If I get an interest only mortgage on the property the return will cover the cost of servicing the mortgage until such time as interest rates go above 3.75% (My opinion is that interest rates will start to rise by Jun '06)

All other charges / costs are taken by the property company i.e. annual management fees, insurance, repairs etc so no additional expense for me over the ten years

The risks that I see are 1. Interest rates rise far above current levels 2. Rental returns stay at 3.75% for the ten years 3. There is no capital appreciation and the asset is un-saleable in 10 years time

My reason for investing is to provide me with a supplement to my pension in 30 years + time as I feel my current pension will be inadequate come that time

My gut tells me that this is a "no brainer" and I should go for it, but I usually try not to let my gut make investment decisions for me!

What I am missing in my analysis? What other risks are there that I need to be aware of? Are there additional positives to this investment that I haven't considered?

Does anyone know of similar investment opportunities that offer similar guarantees that I should look at?

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to get as much info down as possible

All comments greatly appreciated

Consider the risk of the guarantee not being upheld or enforceable also. Discuss with your solicitor what options would be open to you if they don't pay up.

Is the return gross or net (of taxes etc.)? Seems low for a property investment to be honest when deposit accounts are offering 3.05% CAR gross.

Rainyday - good point; if I go ahead I will get solicitor to check it out

Clubman - The return is Gross. Rental income will be offset against mortgage interest but Net return will still be lower, at a guess around 3.40% (thats just a guess; exact figures will depend on mortgage amount).

Return is low but then again it is guaranteed so I would expect it to be lower than renting the property out myself. Right or wrong, I'm not expecting this investment to supply additional income to me in the short term but rather taking a longer term view ie 10 / 15 years plus. I suppose I am expecting some capital appreciation, coupled with inflation, making this a good investment in ten years time.

Back