VHI 2xA, 4xC VHI Family Plan+, 1+. Renewal 1/1

bigtom71

I know that my renewal is a little away from now on 1st January, but I want to find out where I can cut costs on my VHI. At the moment we have 2 adults on Family Plan Plus Level 1 and 4 children (one is free) on the One Plus plan. This is costing €3,000 a year net!

I followed some advice on this site and checked out the HIA website to see if there is anything that I can switch to. It doesn't look like I can make much savings on the children, given that all four of them are costing €711 net a year. But when I looked at other VHI plans for adults, there was a massive difference - at least there appears to be.

Current plan: Family Plan Plus Level 1 = €1,329 a year (€1,127 net)
PMI 36/13 = €1,036.
PMI 33/12 = €1,191.
There doesn't seem to be much in the difference between the three plans above other than a €75 excess on in-patient claims for the cheaper ones, and slightly better out patient expenses on them too. Am I missing something?

I don't mind switching to another provider if I can get the same or similar in-patient cover and better out-patient. My wife and I hit the doctor maybe half a dozen times a year and get acupuncture, which works for us, maybe 20 times a year. If there was an Aviva or other offer that allowed us claim more of this back, it would be great. although, on the downside we have used the VHI Swiftcare clinic for our children twice a year over the last few years, with on thing or another.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Back