Laya 2A, 3C Laya renewal 1st September

enchanted

Hi.

I am looking for a bit of advice re our renewal due on 1st September.

We are all on Essential Connect. Kids are between 5 and 10.

I am tempted by Aviva first focus for the adults and family focus for the children. €165 pm. However, VHI have offered company plan for adults and one plan family (new plan) for the kids for €20 extra per month.

I am suffering information overload having spent the past few days comparing all the various plans.

The focus plans are restrictive but seem to offer what we need. Hospital cover is most important and outpatient consultant visits etc. Not bothered about day to day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need to keep costs down but want something worthwhile. No pre existing conditions.

We shop around every year so aren't loyal to any particular company.

Hi enchanted,

Welcome to AAM.

Just to bring a couple of things to your attention when making your decision.
The Aviva First Focus plan is a good offer in comparison to your current plan.
Once your happy with the hospitals on the list, its worth considering at a very good price.
The Family Focus offer for the 3 children is also a really good offer.

Before you make a final decision, there will be a launch of value plans with the other
3 providers, VHI, Laya and Glohealth in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see
what they all have to offer so I would keep all your options open until September 1.
You also have a further 14 days, after 1 Sept 2013, to change your mind so you have plenty of time to decide.

Regarding the offer from VHI, the other children's plan at half price is a better choice. 'Parents and Kids Excess' plan 131 per child from 22 August 2013.
Just something to keep in mind if you are considering the VHI offer.

I would hold on until the last minute to see if any better options come about, with the other 3 providers.
The Aviva option is a very practical choice to go with if nothing better comes along.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thanks snowyb. Its good to know you consider the focus plans to be good plans. Its so hard to know what the best deal is as there are so many plans to choose from. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any new deals. Thanks again.

The Aviva First Focus plan is a good offer in comparison to your current plan.
Once your happy with the hospitals on the list, its worth considering at a very good price. The Family Focus offer for the 3 children is also a really good offer.

Ask Aviva explicitly what hospitals in your geographical area are excluded then armed with that information make your decision.

You should also ask them explicitly what the procedure might be in the event of your moving to a different plan next year with Aviva or another company .

Thank you ajapale. I have a list of the included and excluded hospitals. It also states in the small print that should an emergency arise and an ambulance take the insured to a different hospital (not on the list) that they will cover emergency treatment in that hospital as per policy so I think it will suit us okay. I know I can't predict every eventuality but the hospitals I think I want to be covered in are included.

Just to ask, what difficulties might be encountered if we move to a different plan or company next year? We move most years between companies. I am aware that we have to be careful regarding dropping down a level or upgrading. Most of the main hospitals on the list near us are covered, as are hi- tech. I'm hoping this will be adequate and it seems fairly comprehensive, although I will hold out a little longer and see if the competitors come up with any alternative plans.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Back