Laya 2A +3C "Laya Essential plus no excess" Renewal January: Best plan for under €4,000

ctlsleh

Any suggestions? Currently on Laya essential, but believe there should be better cover for less money

Hi,

Which 'essential' plan are you on with Laya?

When is your renewal date?

Snowyb

Hi ctlsleh,

As you are already with Laya Healthcare, you can just change to a different plan with Laya with no penalty and no change of renewal date.

Here are a few suggestions to consider;

Adult Options; No hospital excess, prices in brackets include a 3% charge if you pay by instalments.

1. Healthwise Plus No Excess; Price per adult; 885(911) - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover, limited outpatients.
2. Company Care Plus; Price per adult; 1059 (1090) - public,private +full hi-tech hospital cover, excellent outpatients cover.
3. Total Health Select; Price per adult; 1204 (1240) - public,fully private +full hi-tech hospital cover, excellent outpatients cover.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?47&277&198&322/

Adult Options; with a hospital excess - the main difference between these 4 plans is amount of hospital excess and shortfalls.

1. Total Health Choice; Price per adult; 874(900) - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.
2. Simply Health Excess; Price per adult; 899(925) - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.
3. Company Care Excess Price per adult; 972(1001) - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.
4. Total Health Plus; Price per adult; 1028(1058) - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?47&323&279&237&321/

KIDS OPTIONS - prices shown here include 3% charge for paying by instalments.

1. Essential Connect; price (child 1+2) 225 (child 3) 201 - public,private, cardiac hi-tech hospital cover, very limited outpatients.
2. Healthwise Plus No Excess price (child 1+2) 255 (child 3) 236 - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,limited outpatients,
3. Simply Health Starter; price (child 1+2) 260 (child 3) 260 - public,some private,cardiac hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50%.
4. Total Health Choice; price (child 1+2) 281 (child 3) 256 - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.
5. Company Care NO Excess price (child 1+2) 369 (child 3) 306 - public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,good outpatients 50% refund.
6. Company Care Plus price (child 1+2) 382 (child 3) 362- public,private + full hi-tech hospital cover,excellent outpatients 75% refund.

link for kids plans with No hospital excess;
www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?47&277&59&198/

link for kids plans with hospital excess;
www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?47&282&278&323/

Note; There are no private children's hospitals in Ireland, so public cover for a child is sufficient.
However, if they have hi-tech hospital cover, Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic offer full list of paediatric surgery fully covered.

Also, as I previously mentioned, you can just change to another plan with Laya as you are already a member with them. However, just
something to watch out for, Laya will increase most plans on 1st April 2013, so if you change over before that date you should
avoid the price increases. Make sure to emphasise that you wish avoid the increases, when making the phone call.

There's a good selection of plans to choose from for both adults and children.
The cheaper plans are just as good as the more expensive ones quoted - it all depends on what extras you require
for example, higher outpatients or no hospital excess etc.
Plenty of savings to be made.

Snowyb

many thanks SnowyB. loads of information there to digest. I Would never have managed to figure out all those plans by myself.

A complication has raised. My spouse is at the end of a small surgical procedure, she had an accident with her foot and needs to go back to have some 'pins 'removed. Up to now the VHI covered it subject to their excess on the plan. The procedure is not scheduled to happen till the the third week of April, by which time we should have maybe moved health provider. Will the VHI still cover the cost as it was started on their "watch". Or will the new health provider cover it? Or neither?
Worried.

Hi Snowyb,
Thanks for the feedback and the comprehensive options. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been negotiating moving company and I will have to move my cover now also. I will have a 5K euro budget, looking at your options above, the laya total health select looks like the best option, any others I should review?

Also, should I consider a separate policy for the kids? Or did I misunderstand your proposal?
Many thanks again.....!

Also, any suggestions on dental cover? My new company are offering me this also.....
Thanks again.....!

Hi again, ctlsleh,

The prices on my original post, March 2013, are now out of date, as previously mentioned a general price increase
applied on the 1st April 2013. They're still good value and under your 5k budget.

The following 2 adult plans are worth reviewing. Price in brackets includes a 3% charge if paying by instalments.

1. Company Care Plus; Adult price; 1201pa (1237pa); Child price; 421pa (433pa)child 1+2; Child 3; 399(410)
2. Total Health Select; Adult price; 1402pa (1444pa); Child price; 416pa (428pa)child 1+2; Child 3; 404(416)

The following child's plan is worth reviewing. Price in brackets includes a 3% charge if paying by instalments.

1. Total Health Choice; Kids price; 318(327) child 1+2; Child 3; 290(298)

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?323&322&198/

The 2 adult plans are practically identical, the only one difference is full cover for a private room in a private hospital
with Total Health Select. Everything else is the same. Company Care Plus has a small shortfall of 50 euro per night for this cover.
Outpatient cover and radiology etc is identical.

The thing about having full cover for a private room is that there is no guarantee that a private room will be available if a person is
admitted to a private hospital.
Company Care Plus has the option of paying 50 per night for a private room if it is available. You are not paying for something that
you may not actually get to use.
Then again Total Health Select is a perfect choice and if the company is paying, its well within your 5k budget.

The kids plan 'Total Health Choice' is fully adequate for the children for both hospital and outpatient cover (50% refund applies).
If you wanted 75% refund for GP and Consultant visits for the children you could choose 'Total Health Select', this plan also has NO
hospital excess.

Regarding dental cover, the only company that offers this type of policy is with VHI.

www.dentalcover.ie

A family policy costs approx 940 per year, which includes orthodontic cover upto 500 per person after 2 years continuous membership.
The cheaper family policy approx 550 pa does not include orthodontic cover.

NOTE; All the above health insurance plans include good routine dental cover for each family member. Refund; 50% upto 500 every year
per person. Unless orthodontic or other extensive work is required, I would question the actual need for seperate dental cover as its already
included in the health insurance policy. Then again if the company is paying, its a no brainer to go for it.

Regards,
Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,
Thanks again. Are you suggesting that I have a different policy for adults and the kids? Just wondering what the logic is behind that?
On the dental, I agree with you. The only reason to have it would be to cover orthodontics in the future, but if they only cover €500, then it wouldn't make sense a you would end up paying that and more in the 2 years anyhow and the cover isn't significantly more than the lays policies suggested.
Much appreciated
Eoin

The plan 'Total Health Select' is perfect for both adults and children and it suits your situation - within budget of 5k.

I mentioned plan 'Total Health Choice' as an alternative for the children if you were cutting costs, it ticks all the boxes re hospital cover
and outpatient cover 50% refund.
Children do not have to be on the same plan as parents.

Total Health Select has a couple of extras ie. 75% refund for gp and consultant visits and no hospital excess. Private hospital cover is not
necessary for children, as there are no private children's hospitals in Ireland. However, hi tech hospitals Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic
offer a range of typical paediatric surgery fully covered on both plans.

Hope this explains things a bit clearer.

Snowyb

Back