Laya 2A+2C Laya Essential Connect renewal is ~30% higher

fraggle

Last year I switched from one Laya plan to Essential Connect. I was happy with the cover levels, I didn't feel I was losing anything.

I was paying about 1920 for 2+2 kids.

My renewal just came in and they are looking for EUR2533. That is a 32% price increase.

Is this correct? I wasn't expecting so much.

Or is it the case that plans are made numerous and complicated, and they change them around a lot... so I have to go and find their new plan which suits me..... or just give up and pay the extra????

I've just gone to their website and tried a quote and it's coming in at EUR1990.

Not sure what to make of that.

Hi fraggle,

What is your renewal date?

There is a price increase due on a number of plans with Laya from 1 April 2013, so this might explain the difference - plus any other increases that were added on during the year since your last renewal.

The details for 1/4/2013 are not clear yet, should be on hia website soon.

There are a few alternatives you can choose to reduce the premium back down, to around what you are paying at the moment.

What you certainly don't do, is just give up and pay the extra!!!

When I know your renewal date, I can make a few suggestions.

Snowyb

Getting very confused comparing all the plans.

Can anybody give me some shortcuts towards plans that have minimal maternity coverage?
I also don't care about out-patient re-imbursements
Am willing to pay excesses on things.

Also, not sure if I can cancel and rejoin on a different plan at current rates, even if my renewal date doesn't change.

Hi fraggle,

Alternative options available for the adults as follows:

Option 1
Essential Connect Saver; Price per adult; 798pa (similar hospital cover to your existing plan)

Option 2
Total Health Choice; Price per adult 874pa (good hospital cover + good outpatient cover)

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?282&327&323/

Alternative options for the kids as follows:

Option 1
Health Smart Plan Price per child; 130pa (good hospital cover)

Option 2
Health Smart Family Plan Price per child; 200pa (good hospital + good outpatients cover)

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?282&294&295/

Note; The above adult options will more than likely increase in price on 1 April 2013, which is also your renewal date.
The childrens options will not increase on 1/4/2013.

When phoning Laya to switch plans, you will have to explain that you wish to sign up for the new plans with effect from 29th March 2013 -
in order to avoid the price increase - you should phone a week or so in advance of your renewal date.

Your renewal date for 2014 will be reset to 1st March 2014 - so you will only have 11 monthly payments up to 28th Feb 2014.

Hope this makes your decision a bit easier.

Snowyb

Thanks for that.

So stick with my original renewal quote of 2550 = 212.50/month

or from the above
798+798=130+130 = 1856 but for 11 months = 168/month

I am currently paying 159/month so that's not too bad. I will seriously consider it.

Have to do some more research....... clickety click....

You mention 130pa/child for Health Smart but online it lists it as 294!

Do you have the name of the plan you actually meant? or am I making a mistake.

No, it is my mistake entirely, I sincerely apologise!

This promotion on the Health Smart Plans with half price offers for kids was due to end yesterday, 28 Feb 2013.

However, I was reading an article entitled 'LAYA HEALTHCARE ANNOUNCES PRICE REVIEW' on Irish Health Insurance website,
which quotes the managing director of LAYA, Donal Clancy - " we are also freezing the price of our Health Smart and Health
Smart Family Schemes which both have a 50% kids offer to the end of February."

www.irishhealthinsurance.ie/news/laya-healthcare-announces-price-review/

I understood that to mean freezing the 50% kids offer - ie. not putting up the price!

I was obviously wrong, as the prices have gone back up today as per hia.ie.

The cheapest kids price with Laya Healthcare is Essential First price 195 per child.
www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?285/

I apologise for quoting incorrect prices.

I'm going off now to do my penance.:eek:

Snowyb

Back