29 with 400k: No mortgage, mortgage and invest, or all in on a nice house.

dandan

Personal details

Your age: 29
Your spouse's age: single
Number and age of children: none

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: €67,500
Annual gross income of spouse/partner: 0
Variable amount of extra money from previous sole trader job: €300-400 per half day depending on the work but not doing many of those lately. Really just a handful a year to keep my foot in and support things I've set up which others won't touch since they didn't set it up.

Monthly take-home pay: €3,415.89 (5% pension, 8% company match, 10% AVC to bring me to 15%)

Type of employment - e.g. Employee or self-employed. PAYE Employee, was Self employed up until March 2023.

Employer type: e.g. public servant, private company: semi-state now

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?
Saving somewhere around €2,000 per month

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home value:0
Mortgage on family home:0
Net equity:0

Cash: €390,000
Defined Contribution pension fund: €21,500 (started last year)
Company shares : 0
Buy to Let Property value:0
Buy to let Mortgage:0

Total net assets: just cash and pension. Need to spend about €10k on car soon.

Family home mortgage information
Lender
Interest rate
Type of interest rate: tracker, variable, fixed.
If fixed, what is the term remaining of the fixed rate?
If tracker, what is the margin e.g. ECB + 1%

Remaining term: (Original term is not relevant)
Monthly repayment:

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes (don't have a CC)
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? 0

Pension information

Value of pension fund: €21,500
100% in Irish Life Moderate Growth

Buy to let properties
Value:0
Rental income per year:0
Rough annual expenses other than mortgage interest : 0
Lender
Interest rate 0
If fixed, what is the term remaining of the fixed rate? 0

Other savings and investments:

Other information which might be relevant

Life insurance: 3x salary paid out in the event of my death by pension fund I believe...

Currently sharing a big A-rated house 2km from work with one person for €600 per month under rent a room. Great setup for while I need it.

Have an accountant to look after my self employed income, only costing a few hundred a year.

Received windfall mid 2023 of about €120,000 + about 100k to cover loss of earnings while I was injured. The rest of the money I've just accumulated through saving and I was previously on more money than now. I was self employed. Industry too small to give any detail for what it was but nothing too crazy I just saved a lot for years.

I moved to this role because I wasn't able to really do my previous job after an accident, and I wanted to be able to get a mortgage.

I'm now in a permanent IT job with a guaranteed small increment and I'm going to be very likely to get a few jumps in salary as people start to retire. Ultimately I think the cap in this company for me is about €120k + decent pension / perks and I think I will be happy with that amount of money because I believe I'll be able to hopefully reduce how much time it's really taking up by working smart rather than hard... I am currently not very happy in my role but I think it's down to money and work/life balance at the moment.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

I have this €400,000+-10k at 29 and I don't know what to do to set myself up.

I don't know whether to spend all the money on a roughly 400k house mortgage free, or to get a 90% mortgage (AIP for a 270k loan at the moment) and use the rest of the money for other investments, or to spend 400k+270k and get somewhere nicer in a good location. I'm open to doing rent a room and some of the more expensive houses would be more pleasant to do this in whereas I feel some of the cheaper end of houses would be a bit painful to share and I'm not sure I could deal with coming home from a stressful day of work to a crap house I'm sharing with someone. Vs buying a much nicer house in a nicer area, probably getting more rent for it. I know I could have good and bad rental experiences in both.

Or some mix of a few of them such as leaving enough money to renovate a house etc.

I don't know what to do. I have been close to buying a few houses over the last year but each time I pull back because I don't want to over bid yet here I am without a house and with this lump of money which is worth less now than it was. Two in particular I really missed out on which are fuelling the panic to buy asap now but value is feeling worse than ever and I'm feeling rushed to make offers before I've properly evaluated a property and next step they're sale agreed.

I have been afraid to put my money into instant access accounts because I felt like a house purchase was imminent enough that it wasn't worth the hassle of having the money all over the place while trying to show banks for AIP. I've obviously lost out and I'm continuing to lose out every day on the interest while not doing so.

The main question is do I need to go spend time with a financial planner (@ €2,000-2,500) to work through this or will they just tell me I need to answer these lifestyle questions myself? If the answer is obvious but I'm missing it then I'd like to keep the €2k. It'll be completely exposing me to swings in the property values if I go all in on a house, but I'll be in a really nice house and be guaranteed to be able to pay the mortgage and have the opportunity to rent a room to basically negate the mortgage. If I stay in this job for 20 years I doubt I'll lose out on having bought a nice house now in a good location?

I could also be looking at the cheapest possible house I'd be willing to do rent a room in? I'd then need to figure out what to do with the rest of the money. Unless the cheapest possible house I'd be willing to do rent a room in is above 600k.. in that case there'd be nothing left and full mortgage.

As you can see I've got a lot to figure out. There are some other more complex things going on, there's a family business which I currently help with and take no salary of any kind and never have. I believe if I got the recipe right I could keep my full time paye job and also maintain a good portion of that business operation without any other staff if I decide to take it over in time. It's B2B with a good markup that can be kept on top of with a couple of hours a day if I improve efficiency. It's a lot more involved now but there are elements of the business I can gut which aren't worth maintaining for the overhead (IMO).

Does it sound like I just need to go to a financial advisor or should I try to nail down what house I want first and then talk to someone before doing it, and then mention the other complexity of the business or wait for when that's actually happening to worry about it? But I should probably be doing something now to document the fact I'm working for free on it so it's not a big deal to inherit that in future?

Also any other help or a steer on what to do in general would be really appreciated. I feel like the only person who's able to turn having €400k cash into stress but I'm genuinely not sleeping right at the thought of what house to buy and what to do so I don't waste this opportunity. I do feel like once I have this solved it'll be a massive weight off my shoulders.

Sorry for writing a novel here. Hope to not get doxxed for the info I've put here. I've read others and understand there's less of a life story and more numbers with them usually so apologies.

I don't know whether to spend all the money on a roughly 400k house mortgage free,

or to get a 90% mortgage (AIP for a 270k loan at the moment) and use the rest of the money for other investments,

or to spend 400k+270k and get somewhere nicer in a good location.

You are 29 and on a good salary.
You can afford a nice house and you should buy one.
If that costs €670k so be it.
If you buy a €400k house, you will just want to trade up in a few years. Trading up is expensive, risky and very disruptive.
So buy the best house you can now.

A bigger, more expensive, house

1) Will be nicer to live in
2) Will probably be closer to work so your commuting time and costs will be lower
3) Will be much easier to share with someone else.

If you buy a 2 bed small house, you might decide to stop sharing after a while because it's too small.

Buying a big house is very efficient from a tax-point of view.
Any capital gain is not subject to Capital Gains Tax as it's your home.

It looks as if your job is safe, but if you ever did need social welfare, your home is ignored for means test purposes. That would also apply to a €400k house bought for cash. But if you have a €400k house with a €300k mortgage and €300k in investments, you would get no means-tested social welfare.

As you are a worrier, it also makes a lot of sense not to have investments and borrowing at the same time. Both are sources of worry. So if you do decide to go for a €400k house, buy it for cash.

Not the core issue but, regarding your pension...
Monthly take-home pay: €3,415.89 (5% pension, 8% company match, 10% AVC to bring me to 15%)

Pension information

Value of pension fund: €21,500
100% in Irish Life Moderate Growth
At 29 you really should have your pension invested into something with a higher risk/reward profile than this sounds.
E.g. mostly or fully equities or an index tracker.
A "moderate growth" fund sounds far too conservative.
Your have probably 30 years investment timeframe to retirement and potentially several more decades after that in an ARF.

Also - in the year in which you turn 30 you can put in up to 20% with full tax relief for the full year.

Buying a big house is very efficient from a tax-point of view.
Any capital gain is not subject to Capital Gains Tax as it's your home.

It looks as if your job is safe, but if you ever did need social welfare, your home is ignored for means test purposes. That would also apply to a €400k house bought for cash. But if you have a €400k house with a €300k mortgage and €300k in investments, you would get no means-tested social welfare.

As you are a worrier, it also makes a lot of sense not to have investments and borrowing at the same time. Both are sources of worry. So if you do decide to go for a €400k house, buy it for cash.
Thanks for this, I think you've read my mind so it's very reassuring my leaning towards one expensive house wasn't completely wrong.
I won't quote them all but you've definitely got what I was wondering about, I don't think I'd be happy sharing the smaller house compared with a nicer house with rent a room where the mortgage has a massive chunk covered. I think any other option than the house I like would lead to trying to trade up in the future, and why trade up when I could just have it now...
Not the core issue but, regarding your pension...

At 29 you really should have your pension invested into something with a higher risk/reward profile than this sounds.
E.g. mostly or fully equities or an index tracker.
A "moderate growth" fund sounds far too conservative.
Your have probably 30 years investment timeframe to retirement and potentially several more decades after that in an ARF.

Also - in the year in which you turn 30 you can put in up to 20% with full tax relief for the full year.
thanks I have some options to swap it to:
Investment Fund, Risk Profile, Investment %
Irish Life Moderate Growth Fund (TG2), 4, 100%
Cantor Fitzgerald Alternative Fund, 5, %
Cantor Fitzgerald Multi Asset 70 Fund, 4, %
ILIM Cash Fund S8 (PC8), 1, %
ILIM Screened Global Equity Fund (ESGS), 5, %
Irish Life Annuity Objective Fund (TG4), 3, %
Irish Life Cautious Growth Fund (TG3), 3, %
Irish Life High Growth Fund (TG1), 5, %
Irish Life Indexed All Country Equity Fund (IAE), 5, %
Total: 100%
I've read them all in the past and had stuck with moderate growth I could swap it to one of the higher risk ones certainly. There'll be enough ups and downs until 2060 or whenever it is that I'm retiring.
Good to know about moving to 20% I will try to organise that with payroll to start at the beginning of 2025. With changes in the budget and going to 20% my take home monthly will only be going down to €3,314.82 so not a big jump at all to put another 5%/3K into the pension. That's also not considering the increment which I don't know off hand. At 30 the company match I believe moves to 9% instead of 8% so hopefully that can kick in at the start of my 30th year and not when I turn 30.

Max out the pension. 600 a month is about what you'll pay to the bank on the mortgage. We must have a recession at some point and you could hold cash till then in case of house price drop

thanks I have some options to swap it to:
Investment Fund, Risk Profile, Investment %
Irish Life Moderate Growth Fund (TG2), 4, 100%
Cantor Fitzgerald Alternative Fund, 5, %
Cantor Fitzgerald Multi Asset 70 Fund, 4, %
ILIM Cash Fund S8 (PC8), 1, %
ILIM Screened Global Equity Fund (ESGS), 5, %
Irish Life Annuity Objective Fund (TG4), 3, %
Irish Life Cautious Growth Fund (TG3), 3, %
Irish Life High Growth Fund (TG1), 5, %
Irish Life Indexed All Country Equity Fund (IAE), 5, %
Total: 100%
I've read them all in the past and had stuck with moderate growth I could swap it to one of the higher risk ones certainly. There'll be enough ups and downs until 2060 or whenever it is that I'm retiring.
I don't know what the "investment %" is in your list. If it was me at 29 (or even later) I would seriously consider Irish Life Indexed All Country Equity Fund (IAE). (I'm touching 60 and still fully in a similar fund with Standard Life). It seems to be the only all equity option and if it's an index tracker (not sure if it's tracking an "industry standard" index or an Irish Life created one but it may not really matter in the greater scheme of things) it should be less dependent on active management which is arguably a good thing. (The high growth one might also be worth considering depending on its asset mix.).
Good to know about moving to 20% I will try to organise that with payroll to start at the beginning of 2025. With changes in the budget and going to 20% my take home monthly will only be going down to €3,314.82 so not a big jump at all to put another 5%/3K into the pension. That's also not considering the increment which I don't know off hand. At 30 the company match I believe moves to 9% instead of 8% so hopefully that can kick in at the start of my 30th year and not when I turn 30.
Don't stress it to the penny but you seem to be in a position where maximising your pension contributions is easily achievable and this is usually the next recommended thing after buying a home and funding your necessary personal/family living expenses.

Last edited:
I would avoid going to a financial advisor as the decision is very clear cut.

There is a risk that a financial advisor will tell you to buy a €400k house with a €300k mortgage and then invest the rest in a product which gives him commission.
I am a financial advisor and I endorse this message.

There is no reason to talk to a financial advisor. You can buy a nice house with a relatively small amount of debt. Rent out a room and that will pay for most of the mortgage.

Buying a cheaper house will cost you in the long run as you will probably look to move in the future anyway.

Get mortgage approval in principle, find a house that you like and buy it. When that is settled, look at your work situation. There is no point in being unhappy in a role, it impacts too much on the rest of your life. If you can't resolve the issues that are making you unhappy in work, move job after you get your mortgage and buy a new house.

Back