25 000 to invest

A

alldone

I have 25000 to invest. What is the best course of action to take? I am a novice to this I do not want the money tied up for long time? 1 year max maybe. Should i put some in a 30 day notice account? Are these recommended? Banks have poor rates on many products Should I approach an asset management company? Will the cost of this outweigh any interest rates they offer above the banks with only 25000.? If asset management what companies products would be recommended? As its a lump sum should regular savers be avoided?

Thanks

You don't really post enough information for people to make specific recommendations that necessarily meet your particular needs. However...

If you have any debts then you should consider clearing/reducing these before worrying about saving/investing. If your timeframe is c. 1 year then I personally reckon that the only real option is a high rate deposit account. See the Financial Best Buys forum for details of high rate deposit (including regular saver) accounts. Contrary to what you say above many banks actually have pretty good rates these days when compared to the base ECB rate (4%) and inflation (c. 5%). There are lots of existing threads similar to yours and dealing with what sort of deposit based strategies can be employed for those putting money away for a short term. Read the key posts and, in particular, the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments while you're at it. If in doubt get independent, professional advice from a good multi-agency intermediary or authorised advisor (and not tied agents/sales people at your bank etc.) as they will be able to do a proper/comprehensive fact find/financial review and recommend possible options suitable for your specific needs.

I know this sounds a bit silly but, when ever I have a large sum of money I normally put all my bills into credit, ie I will pay 500 euro off my esb or gas bill, what it means is I dont have to worry about any bills for a couple of months, basically, one less stress in my life.

Moderator note: advertising/investment solicitation removed. Please read the posting guidelines regarding avertising. Repeated breaches of the posting guidelines will result in a ban.

Back