2007 Toyota needs new pads and discs

doubledeb

Hi there,
first time user of this site but it looks like its the only way of getting answers! I would appreciate anyones help.
I have a 07 Toyota corolla 1.4 D4D with 58k miles on the clock, a lot of long distance driving (in 5th gear a lot) and subsequently little enough braking.
Had the car serviced at 57k miles and asked the mechanic to have a look at the pads as the mileage is high, he said i should be ok till next service. Brought the car to main dealer with another issue under warranty and they (the receptionist) said that i needed new discs and pads all round (€720!) but it wasn;'t covered under warranty.... surprise surprise.
There is no rubbing noise from the brakes when i do brake and to be honest wouldn't have minded the pads only, as my mechanic (who has been servicing the car from day one and knows me well) did say that the next service i would probably have to have them replaced. my question is has anyone had the same issue or is the main dealer having a laugh?
thanks in advance

Main dealer chancing his arm. I got Octavia serviced last september on an agreed price. 20 mins after dropping the car out I got the inevitable phone call, your pads are very low mightn't last until the next service blah blah,can do you a special deal €145 fitted I told them not to bother. Had a look at them myself later and they were fine, almost 5 months later and they're still fine. Toyota trying to boost the coffers to pay for the huge recall

Thanks Caff,
I've 2 smallies in the car and don't want to be taking chances but the mechanic in the main dealer didn't even talk to me about it, he let the "know it all" receptionist break the news instead!...saw i was female i'd say and chanced his arm, he did ask me if i had the car serviced at the dealers before he looked at it so was probably 'punishing' me for not paying the excessive servicing costs the last 3 years!

not sure about the discs but I have been told that toyota pads are 'soft'. Wifes Verso had to get hers changed at about the 60k (km) mark aswell and I know a few other toyota drivers that have said same. You only have to look at the state of the alloys week in, they are covered in pad dust and are a nightmare to keep clean

I recently had to get pads and discs done on car, discs were 55 euro each and pads I think 35 front and back. Extra 20 on the service for the additional labour. Trusted mechanic. I think I've 70k miles on the clock. it's an 05 Toyota corolla.

You have 2 young kids and the garage say you need new brake pads. I don't think you should ignore what they are saying. Think of the worst case scenario. You are assuming that they are taking you for a ride because you are female and haven't ever serviced the car there. That's a bit of an assumption to make, don't you think?

My advice is to get a second opinion. Price the job in a few different garages and see where you can get the best deal. Don't just walk away from this.

I think the Corolla's pads start "squeeling" when they're low. That's what my mechanic told me.Why the need to change the discs as well?!

I had a second opinion from my mechanic who serviced the car 2 weeks before and said the pads would be fine until the next service, I'm not that stupid gebbel.

There's also a "low pads" warning light which will give you plenty if time to get them sorted when it lights.

It is very easy to check in another garage or a lot of tyre places eg kwik.

Say no and get a second opinion.

Have a look in the manual it should tell you. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

Breaks and tyres depend totaly on driving style no way to predict that in a manual.

If you race to the lights and heavy on the breaks then they will go quicker than miss daisy that never goes over 30 mph.

Breaks and tyres depend totaly on driving style no way to predict that in a manual.

If you race to the lights and heavy on the breaks then they will go quicker than miss daisy that never goes over 30 mph.

Oh God....I meant check in the manual if the car has a low brake (note the correct spelling of brake) pads warning light...

Hey I pusehd a car once till we had a look and found there wasn't a sniff of petrol in it.

The driver said but my BF put petrol in it last week.

Not everyone is as enlightened when it comes to cars Caff.

I think all pads are softer these days since asbestos was banned in them.

Driving style is one factor, but not the only one. If "Miss Daisy" lived in a hilly area she might be lucky to see 20k out of a set of fronts.

SSE

Quick update, went to a well known brake/tyre fitting company and was told that I only needed pads on the front, the back were about half worn but didn't need changing. He said the discs were absolutely fine. I decided to change all pads fitted for €120 (special offer at the time)... just goes to show it really does pay (€600 stays in my pocket and not the toyota dealerships' pocket) to shop around...

Someone I know recent for a merc dealer to check their car. They came back with a huge list of items, some of them major suspension problems. But it passed the NCT with none of these thngs done. A 2nd opinion from an independent mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. Main stealers. Still up to their old tricks. The best one was light bulbs needed changing because they were about to fail.

You couldn't make this stuff up.