20 cigs by 50 cents ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I say that 100% of all cigarettes smoked here are bought abroad? I don't mind you quoting me, but please don't misquote me.

You were saying 100% of the cigarette packets discarded in the smoking area of busy pubs had Espana printed on them. So it's either 100% of cigarettes smoked in these places are being bought in Spain, or those buying elsewhere are saving their empties for some reason.

. . . . or was it that I was informing people of the cuteness of Cork people paying half what the rest of the country is paying for fags?

See, that's where I was getting worried. Having lived there for a time I have no doubts as to the cuteness levels present in Cork, but I was just worried they were loosing their edge by not sourcing their smokes in even cheaper countries.

I'll be in Spain shortly and I have to return here for a few days to attend a wedding. I'll bring you back a packet of fags

You're grand thanks, thankfully I never really liked then and they just weren't enough to make me look cool, so I never developed the habit. I just get as righteous as a reformed smoker from time to time :D

Leo, I'm beginning to have some doubts about you. Where did I say that 100% of all cigarettes smoked here are bought abroad? I don't mind you quoting me, but please don't misquote me.
Ah now to be fair you didn't say 100% but you did say.......

The vast majority of people who smoke are smoking cigarettes bought abroad......
The "Espana" I see on 100% of the empty cigarette boxes in the smoking areas of busy pubs must be a figment of my imagination.

Which holds very little basis ( other than in your head ) for forming any real figure of what percentage of cigarettes smoked in Ireland are actually bought here, whereas @Leo has supplied links to released actual data.
In regard to your exhaustive 'survey' of local pubs, may I suggest that you consider imbibing in more 'upmarket' establishments. :)

And now me poor auld goat has developed a nasty foreign sounding cough.
I feel a trip to Spain is on the cards for some cheap goat antibiotics.

Annual Jazz Festival ending today in Cork - Probably the most successful festival of its type in Cork. We have loads of visitors from many parts of the country, but mainly from Dublin. Last night while acting Designated Driver I called to a busy "Jazzing" pub near closing time at the early hours. My group were assembling in the Smoking Area just outside the main bar. Sixteen people were smoking (14 with Espana written on the fag boxes and 2 with cancer warnings as-Gaeilge). The two were not from Cork and spoke with cultured Dublin accents; 2 lambs to the slaughter, I think. I reckon they learned a valuable lesson in their visit to Cork. €13.50 -V- €5.00 per 20pack -No Contest. And Spain wins again.

Sixteen people were smoking (14 with Espana written on the fag boxes and 2 with cancer warnings as-Gaeilge). The two were not from Cork and spoke with cultured Dublin accents;

Thats so impressive, kind of. I cant recall the last time while standing in a smoking area that I consciously noticed what language the health warning on a packet of cigs was.
But you managed to count not only how many people were smoking, but get sight of all their cigarette packets too. And then take note of the nationality from which they originated!
All during the closing hours of a busy pub jazz session!!
You must have been the first sober person to noticeably stand out against a crowd of revellers?

I did point out that I was doing a Designated Driver run and I had no alcohol on board. Also, I pointed out the meeting point was at the Smoking Area and at closing time. It was no big deal to count the amount of people smoking or where their packets of fags were bought. Once you've got the leprous eye you can't miss.

I recommend my non believers on the forum take note whenever they are in any smoking area (it doesn't have to be a pub).

I did point out that I was doing a Designated Driver run and I had no alcohol on board. Also, I pointed out the meeting point was at the Smoking Area and at closing time. It was no big deal to count the amount of people smoking or where their packets of fags were bought. Once you've got the leprous eye you can't miss.

I recommend my non believers on the forum take note whenever they are in any smoking area (it doesn't have to be a pub).
This may be a Cork phenomenon due to Cork "cuteness", meanness as it's called in Ireland (outside the people's Republic).
The fact that Cork people are also notoriously work-shy and live off the tit of the generous Dubs also affords them the opportunity to bugger off to Spain on a regular basis and in vast numbers to buy cheap smokes, something not available to those who have to shoulder the burden of paying for the whole foul jamboree.

Last edited:
Yet another example of Dublin shouldering the tax burden for the rest of the country...…….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back