2 bed apt - no ensuite

C

castle2j

Hi all, many congrats on a great forum,

We've just put down a deposit on a 2-bed ground floor apt. While looking over the brochure I've noticed that it's practically the only 2-bed in the development that has no en-suite bathroom!

Feeling very confused/torn at the moment as it really seems like a good buy. Location is good and at c780 sq ft. it is one of the largest apartments in the development.

We're 1st time buyers and are quite happy with the layout bar this, but I'm worried it could be detrimental to the resale value since we wouldn't intend to stay there forever.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you bought on the Stated Basis or advertised basis that an ensuite is Standard then exercise your rights to it with the builder .

If you bought knowing there is no ensuite then its your fault and it will affect the resale value in future. Better get the plumbing installed now (waste hot and cold) so you can add it in in future.

You will have to decide whether the (good, where ?) location out weights the lack of ensuite.

Your resale value can depend on a lot of factors however. The most important one would be the amount of properties for sale in your development. If during the next property boom you decide to sell your apt and nobody else in the development is selling theirs, then it should not matter too much as people won't be as picky, they will just be in a mad rush to get anything.

On the other hand, if there are a good few properties for sale in your development, say for example, they decide to build a prison near or there is no school places for children, or even that they just can't afford them, it may be a bad omen for potential property buyers and will look elsewhere.

I personally would look upon an ensuite as an excellent bonus to an apt but I wouldnt let that solely influence my decision if the area was good.

Thanks for the replies all,

2Pack - We've just put down a deposit so there's not really an obligation. I guess I just assumed but then noticed pretty quickly there was no ensuite.

I should have clarified, the apt is in the Parklands Development beside Santry Demesne. I took a snoop up there over the weekend and it's practically finished. I really don't know how easy it would be at this stage to do anything.

Redo - I've been doing that all day since I realised :D I have to say though, that we really like it up there.. it's a nice setting and the transport links seem good, lots of facilities nearby etc.

Ciara - I'm definitely coming around to that, we've been renting a 1-bed in town all year, so no ensuite really doesn't bother us in terms of living in it. Honestly I'm just trying to look at it from a financial pov, we don't want to make a bad investment and am hoping the positive points of Santry really do outweigh this one thing.

Back