Health Insurance 2 Adults, 4 Children, change policy?

Mrs Vimes

Hi,

We are 2 Adults and 4 Children and were on VHI START PLAN for the past year. Renewal date is 1 December and have only now got to thinking about it.

VHI have sent us renewal for PublicPlus Care at a price of €1347.97, which seems to be similar cover but with a lower excess for consultant, etc claims.

It seems they have one of the children as young adult but he is only 16 so will ring them about that to start with. I just checked the cover on HIA website and it looks basic but ok.

We also have medical cards so no day-to-day expenses, really just keeping it going for now in the hope we'll never need it and also avoid loading if we are able to upgrade in the future (we are in our 40's).

We are in Cork so no need for cover for Dublin hospitals (I hope!)

Further question - the policy has been in my husband's name all along but we would prefer it to be in my name - will changing this cause any problems?

Many thanks for any advice or comments.

Hi Mrs Vimes,

VHI PublicPlus Care plan is the cheapesr plan on the market, It just covers all publiic hospitals.
Start Plan is taken off the market, so this is an equivalent alternative plan.
Regarding consultant visit refunds etc, there is another plan for 40 euro extra, with good day to day cover included.
Consultant visit refunds of 60 but with a 1 euro excess which means a refund of 59 straight away.

You could choose this plan for just one person if you want, according to their medical needs.
I'm not too sure about changing the policy into your own name and potential problems. I don't see any reason why there should be problems,
but you would need to discuss this with VHI for clarity.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowy,

Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate the time you put in to helping people on here.

We'll have to make a decision on whether to go for the consultant cover, but with a massive (unrelated) bill landing today I'd say it'll be bare minimum for another year anyway.

Regards,
Sybil

Back