Laya 1a 2c laya essential first / Health manager First €1,334.74 renewal end august

calin

Hiya,

Love this site, have gotten loads of info from everyone in the past. But I am stuck at the moment re my healthcare renewal which is at the end of the month.

I am currently with Laya - 1 ad & 2 kids (2yrs & 9 yrs). I am on the essential first policy and the kids are on Health manager First. From ringing them earlier to try and get a better price I was informed that I was on the lowest policy they have so now wondering why bother?!?! renewal price €1334.74!
I am really interested in just hosp cover for myself as I don't really need GP cover etc but I need GP cover for the kids and wonder do the kids actually need hosp cover?

Can I get Hosp cover for myself and just gp cover for them.

Or will I just cover myself and maybe go down the route of getting gp cover from another company.....saw on advertised but can think of the name. You pay something like €30 per month and covered for GP visits.

I really don't understand this at all and sometimes wonder is it worth having health insurance?!!?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello calin,

Welcome to AAM.

There are a couple of alternatives to suit your family's needs while saving money at the same time.
Prices in brackets includes a 3% charge if paying by instalments.

Adult Option;
Laya actually have a cheaper plan which covers just all the main public hospitals. Details as follows;

Essential Secure; price per adult 495(507)pa - public hospital cover, no outpatient cover.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?299&285/

Note; this plan has no overseas cover, which just means if you have an annual multi-trip travel policy, it would become invalid, at your
renewal date if you switched to this plan. You would have to take out a stand alone travel insurance policy if travelling abroad, as this plan
doesn't qualify for the discount which applies if you have health insurance. Its not a problem, just something to be aware of.

The plan you are on at the moment, Essential First, has full overseas cover so this plan is also a good choice if Essential Secure doesn't suit.

Childrens Option;
Laya Healthcare has a very good reduced price offer for children at the moment, which has good hospital cover and very good outpatient cover.
Details as follows;

Family Care plan; price per child 212(218)pa; good hospital cover, 50% refund for gp, consultant, etc.

www.hia.ie/ci/comparison/step3?50/

Overall Price;
Essential Secure 1 x adult = 507
Family Care 2 x 218 = 436

Total family price 943pa

NOTE; As your renewal date is at the end of the month, there will be a new launch of value plans with VHI, Laya and Glohealth in the next few
weeks. There may be something of interest to you in these plans. You have a further 14 days following your renewal date, to change your mind
so you have plenty of time on your side to consider your options.

Regards, Snowyb

Wow thanks Snowyb!! :D

That's exactly what I need, someone who knows their way around all the policy etc.

When I rang Laya and explained what I wanted she did offer me the Essential Secure plan but for us all, never mentioned the Family Care Plan option for the kids.

Wow that saves me well over €300 pa!

I am not loyal to Laya by any means so will keep an eye out for any new plans being released in the next few weeks.

Much appreciated!

Hi ya,

Back again. just wondering what other posters think of either leaving themselves or the kids of the health insurance.

Both my kids are normally well, ok the 2yr had bouts of tonsillitis but that was connected to his teething, haven't had any since June (which is great for him) so think we are over it. The oldest son was at the doc 2 wks ago and since we moved to the new house (6yrs ago) he was never at the doc!! had to register him :D

I just filled out my claim form for Laya for the boys and for over €300 worth of GP bills I will get back probably €125!
Is it really worth it? I spend more on that per year for the health insurance. I have my oldest on my insurance since I moved back to Ireland 7yrs ago and never actually used it for him for hosp etc.

I am in 2 minds whether to cancel their policy but afraid to do it at the same time.

Anyone else taken their kids off their health insurance?

Or how about I just get us all hosp cover??

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

PS anyone use HSF as their health insurance only?

My nephew has had over 5 ear operations and the cost would have been in excess of 25k. Waiting list in public was excessive in 2-3 of the operations. Child will get looked after in event of an emergency but elective procedures is different story. Cost is expensive if you never use but any use at all will see value. Your can get free cover for the 2 year old though

Back