100k where to put it?

bluegums

what do you suggest?

where best to put it to get best outcome, nothing past 5yrs

thanks

Have you read the best buys thread?

You could put it in a KBC 1 year term deposit at 0.75% if you open a KBC Extra Current Account.

To get the best return, drop feed it into multiple regular saver accounts, if you can deal with the work involved.

Post office
3 year 1%
4 year 2%
5 year 5%

I would avoid stock market for a few months

But after 6 12 months there could be good buying opportunities

I would avoid stock market for a few months

But after 6 12 months there could be good buying opportunities

We KNOW that the stock market is circa 10% cheaper now than it was a few months ago ( depending on which market and the exact time frame).

We DO NOT KNOW where the stock market will be in 6 12 months.

I have no idea if a stock market investment would suit the OP or not, but waiting 6 12 months is the type of buy high, sell low advice that makes many private investors losers.

I meant to mention, buy low

We KNOW that the stock market is circa 10% cheaper now than it was a few months ago ( depending on which market and the exact time frame).

We DO NOT KNOW where the stock market will be in 6 12 months.

I have no idea if a stock market investment would suit the OP or not, but waiting 6 12 months is the type of buy high, sell low advice that makes many private investors losers.

It's gambling in fairness, but with lots of tax to pay if you wino_O

It's not gambling. Gambling is betting on the successful outcome of one event. You either win or lose everything and you never own anything.

Investing is becoming an actual owner of an asset. Investing in Apple stock, you become an owner in Apple (albeit a tiny, tiny, owner). You share in their successes and failures. Even if they are unsuccessful in one product, you are still an owner. You only lose everything if the company goes out of business.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

It's not gambling. Gambling is betting on the successful outcome of one event. You either win or lose everything and you never own anything.

Investing is becoming an actual owner of an asset. Investing in Apple stock, you become an owner in Apple (albeit a tiny, tiny, owner). You share in their successes and failures. Even if they are unsuccessful in one product, you are still an owner. You only lose everything if the company goes out of business.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie
I know exactly what you mean, just that I disagree with your logic. As far as i'm concerned, playing the stock market is gambling. By the way, i'm not saying it's wrong or whatever, but like backing a horse you better be prepared to lose everything even though that same horse might win some races. A horse is bloodstock, shares are financial stock, you take your chance and run with it. What will be, will be

I know exactly what you mean, just that I disagree with your logic. As far as i'm concerned, playing the stock market is gambling. By the way, i'm not saying it's wrong or whatever, but like backing a horse you better be prepared to lose everything even though that same horse might win some races. A horse is bloodstock, shares are financial stock, you take your chance and run with it. What will be, will be

But it's not.

To get the best return, drop feed it into multiple regular saver accounts, if you can deal with the work involved.
Yes, but not into regular savings accounts but into a series of fixed-term deposits, with different maturities. For example, if you are staying in cash for 5 years, put 20,000 into each of the 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-year to maturity 'best buys' https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/term-deposits-fixed-lump-sum-savings.101813/. After one year, put the maturing 1-year product (capital and interest earned) into a 4 year best buy (thereby earning interest on the interest already earned in the 1-year product), after the second year, put the maturing 2-year product into a 3-year best buy, etc., and continue like this each year for 4 years. If interest rates rise over the five year period year each re-investment will capture the increase in interest rates.

But it's not.

But it is, just a different kind of bet.
Many people were told, in 2006, that Irish Banks were rock solid, the shares had dependable dividends, a quality blue chip stock that was a dead cert for investors. Lots of people put their entire life savings into these dead certs. But like the sure thing in the 2.20 at Kempton Park, they can come a cropper and you lose the lot.

But it is, just a different kind of bet.
Many people were told, in 2006, that Irish Banks were rock solid, the shares had dependable dividends, a quality blue chip stock that was a dead cert for investors. Lots of people put their entire life savings into these dead certs. But like the sure thing in the 2.20 at Kempton Park, they can come a cropper and you lose the lot.

Picking a cabal of banks that were mismanaged as your example?

What about the dividends that were paid to investors for years before that? If you held the shares for long enough, you could have made back your initial investment through dividend payments alone. I am not aware of any type of betting that gives a gambler back his money over time as well as keeping his original stake...

Back