1 story extension E65k?

remember: you won't get an extension at the same price/ft2 as a new build. New build is cheaper.

E160 per Sq Ft sounds reasonable to me. I am a quantity surveyor and have a good deal of experience in this type of stuff. Generally if asked in the pub “how much would an extension cost?” I usually budget for something like E150 to E175 per Sq Ft. I have seen some extensions go to E195 per Sq Ft.

Obviously this is a budget figure and is very much depending on the extension itself (the layout and floor to wall ratio), your location (Dublin V’s Country), what rooms are you adding (kitchen V’s bedroom), finishes specification, etc.

I would say that the two quotations coming back the same is a bit fishy. It wouldn’t be unheard of for contractors to speak to each other!! Try another contractor from a different part of town of a different town altogether.

One other thing, if you get two quotes for 65K and a third for say 30K, I would be nervous of going with the 30K quotation. The 30K man will have to cut corners somewhere in order to make a few euro for himself.

Mr. Burns that is most helpful..regarding builders who say they will do it for cash (no mention of vat) should we steer well clear..and is there a comebak therefore if something goes wrong down the road

Ava1, if it was me I would avoid the cash option. Besides the fact that’s it illegal it also gives you an insight into the mentality of builder i.e. he’s willing to cut corners. If it was a small project like decorating well there is little that can go wrong however if the works involves anything structural you need to use a reputable contractor.

i think better prices are becoming more available due to competition - anecdotely i hear of more subbies returning to domestic work with the commercial side going quiet

but that does not necessarily mean better value to the homeowner/self builder because your 3 man small builder may have been one of 2000 guys working on apartment complex in tallaght - they may not be as experienced in general "building"

as sydthebeat says in this and other posts, get comparable quotes and get references and get professional help where needed.....i would also make sure that the builders are quoting on a proper drawings/spec and that you get full written breakdown of what they are going to provide and more importantly what they are not going to provide.. finally get a signed contract that you are happy with. even with all the above some people will get stung by cowboys but you can reduce the risk and that is what managing construction is all about IMHO

re costs have just submitted funding request to lender for client for 40sqm ext and 140sqm renovation of 1950s 4 bed semi in south dublin - nothing out of ordinary but medium high spec with some eco bits - 2000sqm for new build and 500sqm for renovation - 150k plus vat all in - these may seem high but are well below RIAI guidelines....local architect friend of mine advised another few grand on top! i always find better to be realistic in early stages and then attempt to manage costs, than to start off with too low a budget then allow it to spiral

Back