1 story extension E65k?

fredg

hi all,
was just quoted above,is this not extremely high??
cant believe it to be honest,two builders have quoted us same.
we thought E35k at most.
its an extention which is below planning permission requirements.
(40 sq meters,430 sq feet approx),quoted E160 per sq foot.
would appreciate any replys.
thanks.F

Re: 1 story extention E65k???

How long is a piece of string???

this all depends on your specification of the build, and anywork to be done to existing.

Anyway, the best way to determine the real cost is to get at least 3 quotes. Some builders who are busy would include a very high price... if they get it great, if not, no skin...

2 quotes,same estimate.thats why im asking.and can start next month,so
hardly busy??

well then that would tell me that you have a high spec build and/or awkward site working conditions. ???

sydthebeat,im end of terrace
so not awkward,not knocking existing sitting room wall, so only 3 walls required not even 4! I just think its builders saying what they think people will say.
Ive been told the same ext will cost 80e per sq foot down the country as ive explained it to a builder down there.

yes, the only thing i can suggest is to get prices 'outside the pale' as it were...

either that or split the project up, engage a separate project manager and sub contract all the trades...

I am very far from Dublin and recently got quote for extension 17 x7 for 25k. I thought it was very expensive, 3 walls, bit of roof and knock through to existing house, would require some steel support in existing house but that was it. No interior work whatsover other than the plastering, no electrics or plumbing included, 1 window. Think that around 200 per sq ft. What you might call a pfo price I think myself

We're not long finished our single story extension, we added 2 bedrooms, 15ft x 11 and 15 ft x 16ft. Converted a small bedroom into a walk in wardrobe and ensuite, extended hall and front sitting room, replastered all of the house outside (detached bungalow) new peers at front of house, new footpaths around house, new windows to front of house (3 5ft and 1 large bay window) Replastered hall, bathroom, sitting room walls and ceiling and kitchen ceiling, small extension to bathroom and all plumbing for bathroom and ensuite, replaced all roof tiles to the front of the house, velox in ensuite, stira for attic, new wooden front door, all rooms were left ready to walk in and paint. Loads of other little extras the whole lot cost - 59K and was completed in 12 weeks and the grounds were left spotless after he left. Excellent job and he came back 4 weeks later to make sure everything was in working order. We're outside Dublin but not too far. You can PM me for details.

PS - we supplied our own bathroom and ensuite suites. HTH.

Re: 1 story extention E65k?

Getting one room extension plus shed built they are hopefully starting today!! They are polish got 3 quotes big diffs he is 50% cheaper then the Irish builder who quoted me. Will see how job goes first before recommending though

two builders have quoted us same.
we thought E35k at most.
its an extention which is below planning permission requirements.
(40 sq meters,430 sq feet approx),quoted E160 per sq foot.
would appreciate any replys.
thanks.F

Sound a little bit high to me, I'd get a few more quotes. Based on my own experience, I'd expect to pay around €130 per sq. ft. in Dublin, plus you then have to allow for "joining" the extension up with the original house. My best guess would be that a reasonable quote would be in the order of €55-60K. You can bargain with the builders don't forget.

Getting one room extension plus shed built they are hopefully starting today!! They are polish got 3 quotes big diffs he is 50% cheaper then the Irish builder who quoted me. Will see how job goes first before recommending though

I am about to embark on a small 1 storey extention, Could you please text me with the details of the polish guys- I heard there is a group of them doing really excellent work building extentions in the dublin area my tel 0863941222. thanks

Had three builders in recently to quote for some office building work.

1st 16500
2nd 8000
3rd 3200

After costing out the man days and the materials, 3200 is the one that sounds right to me also.

There are guys out there who will charge whatever they think you might pay. They're all spoiled, they've being doing theses pie in the sky quotations for five years now with considerable success............................

a fool and his money etc etc

i'm just getting plans finalised for a 1 story extension of 40sqm, i've a few walls to be knocked but still hoping to haggle a quote of less than 65k. reckon the best bet is to try get builders in from neighbouring counties cause they seem to charge a lot less than the builders in dublin.

thanks everyone for your replys,
i think things will change for these
guys v quickly ifeconomy keeps going down the road
it seems to be going in.
interested in polish numbers aswell please.pm me if possible.
thanks.F.

This post breaches the Posting Guidelines. Please don't posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredg,

Would you let us know if you get a better quotation in the near future?
Thanks.

will do.F
p.s. what guidelines were broken pls in previous post???

p.s. what guidelines were broken pls in previous post???

As mentioned in the post, we don't allow duplicates. That post had been duplicated in another thread.
Leo

Insurance companies have said people do not realise building costs have gone up by apprx 7% in last 12 months. (Sunday Business Post in last few weeks) They said it wasn't labour element, it was material elements. Labour rates have dropped, but all material costs have gone up dramatically. It maybe worth trting to qauntify the materials ad then cost thoe seperately.

Cost of materials may be rising but overall quotes seem to be dropping fairly rapidly, I guess the supply of jobs for building & construction companies is drying up and the number of companies willing to do the available work at competitive prices is rising rapidly... bottom line builders are dropping their profit margins big time in an effort to snap up what little work that’s available!