1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is broke.

Re: 1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is br

If you are genuinely interested in this issue, you might have to do a bit of digging yourself and see what is behind these costs. It might help though if you start comparing like with like. I really doubt if the Ormonde get 4 million unique visitors per annum? Funnily enough, the first page on the Ormonde site that I opened (http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=ORMONDE&p=tickets&perfCode=47463) is broken, with no option to enter the number of tickets required. The HTML has a huge number of failures on the WCAG validator, and there a loads of missing discriptive texts for the images used. Are you sure you want to hold this up as an example of shining private sector effeciency?

Don't worry I am going to inquire into the breakdown of running costs of the site. To be honest it sounds like another PPARS, except the project is much smaller and easer to define, so the day to day running costs are lower. I am sure IBM have charged their standard Irish Government contract rates for the writing and maintaining the site. By the way the site does not get 4M hits a year, it brings in 4M euro in taxes. That is interesting is that Revenue have just brought ROS in house, which should save us a few bob. The era of the goverment outsourcing the development and running of websites to large multinationals seems to be starting to come to an end.

I had no problems in selecting the number and actual position of seats for the Chipmunks. As for the graphics, it has a huge number and they are contently being updated, while the motor tax site is relatively static and has less complex interaction with the user.

Re: 1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is br

Actually the biggest issue in all this is the wasted cost of the jab and it's administration because the whole thing was a con job.

In fairness, 17 people died in Ireland of Swine Flu, one of whom had NO underlying medical conditions. Nobody has died since the jab was introduced AFAIK.

Perhaps if you enlightened us with a process that you think could be improved we might increase our level of understanding. This couls include a description of the current process, any waste duplication etc and any suggestions.

No, ain't gonna happen. As I've stated before, I plant my seeds in fertile ground, not in the arid wastelands of AAM.

I just found it funny that a clinic that appears to be run very well with little admin staff was found at a clinic for HSE's own staff, whereas the public clinic attended by the OP was heavily staffed by admin staff, with little work being done by each staff member (on that visit).
How did you jump to the conclusion that the clinic that Becky attended was not a public clinic?

I work with people who in any other sector would be out on their ear but because its semi-state they are safe and know it. The attitude of management is to simply move people into some corner and hopefully the problem will disappear. That problem is, I'm sure, right across all sectors but at least in the private sector they might get the sack.
This bears no relation to my experience of the public sector, which isn't that dramatically different to my experience of the private sector. But if your organisation is that bad, fix it - or fix the one corner/area/section that you work in. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.
So now we finally know why state financial regulation in this country failed, because the people involved were outside the business in question, didn't understand the legal obligations, the political environment, the resource constraints of the business in question. Thank you for clarifying that for us. Most helpful
Wow, that's some leap. You weren't trying to steer the discussion off-course, by any chance, were you?

Don't worry I am going to inquire into the breakdown of running costs of the site. To be honest it sounds like another PPARS, except the project is much smaller and easer to define, so the day to day running costs are lower. I am sure IBM have charged their standard Irish Government contract rates for the writing and maintaining the site. By the way the site does not get 4M hits a year, it brings in 4M euro in taxes. That is interesting is that Revenue have just brought ROS in house, which should save us a few bob. The era of the goverment outsourcing the development and running of websites to large multinationals seems to be starting to come to an end.
Maybe there is a mini-PPARS going on here, but there is certainly no hint of that from the information currently available. The fact that substantial money was spent does not mean that money was wasted. Do keep us informed of the results of your digging. And yes, it does get 4m unique visitors a year. I'm interested to hear your comment about Revenue - got any relevant links on this?

I had no problems in selecting the number and actual position of seats for the Chipmunks. As for the graphics, it has a huge number and they are contently being updated, while the motor tax site is relatively static and has less complex interaction with the user.
That link to the Chipmunks show on Saturday 06 February 2010 @ 12:10 doesn't allow me to select number of seats, so I can't progress any further. Can you see seat selection for that showing? Indeed there are huge numbers of graphics, but there really isn't any excuse for failing to include alt texts - just sloppy content management. I guess the motor tax site is relatively static, but it does support huge numbers of users and interfaces to the fairly complex vehicle licensing database and to LA revenue systems, so it isn't really a fair comparison at all.

There is only 4.5 million or so people in Ireland, surely 4 million of them don't need a tax disc?

There are places where there is car tax, the bill in sent in the post, one pays it and that's the end of the matter, one doesn't have a tax disc. A lot less complicated than the Irish system, which sounds quite costly.

No, ain't gonna happen. As I've stated before, I plant my seeds in fertile ground, not in the arid wastelands of AAM.

How did you jump to the conclusion that the clinic that Becky attended was not a public clinic?

That's your choice, maybe others may have a different opinion. Not sure about you, but I woudn't spend any of my time somewhere I thought was an arid wasteland.

To make post #48 easier for you to understand where I made my conclusion, please see sentence 1 from post #16 and sentence 1 from post #33. I think it's a logical conclusion. However, I do stand to be corrected, naturally.

To make post #48 easier for you to understand where I made my conclusion, please see sentence 1 from post #16 and sentence 1 from post #33. I think it's a logical conclusion. However, I do stand to be corrected, naturally.

We obviously have very different understandings of 'logical'. To me, you jumped to a conclusion unsupported by evidence to support your arguement. Not unusual round here, mind you.

We obviously have very different understandings of 'logical'. To me, you jumped to a conclusion unsupported by evidence to support your arguement. Not unusual round here, mind you.

Let me rephrase then, I think it's a logical conclusion to draw from the information provided by Becky in her posts

Post #16 I got my swine flu jab in my workplace.
Post #33 I work in the HSE.

Becky is obviously the only one who can confirm

Let me rephrase then, I think it's a logical conclusion to draw from the information provided by Becky in her posts

That was my understanding too, but like you Firefly I could be wrong:confused:

But nothing she says suggests that she got her jab in a private clinic for HSE staff (the conclusion that you jumped to).

But nothing she says suggests that she got her jab in a private clinic for HSE staff (the conclusion that you jumped to).

Becky, are you out there? Please call in...

Becky, are you out there? Please call in...

It was a clinic for HSE staff only, held in the workplace. Now there is no doubt in my mind that admin staff were involved but they were not sitting in the clinic.

Now maybe they were all on a coffee break when I attended.

It was a clinic for HSE staff only, held in the workplace. Now there is no doubt in my mind that admin staff were involved but they were not sitting in the clinic.

Now maybe they were all on a coffee break when I attended.

Thanks for the reply Becky.

:) So, to recap then Firefly...

There is only 4.5 million or so people in Ireland, surely 4 million of them don't need a tax disc?

There are places where there is car tax, the bill in sent in the post, one pays it and that's the end of the matter, one doesn't have a tax disc. A lot less complicated than the Irish system, which sounds quite costly.

Some people may renew their car tax 4 times a year which means that they will visit the site 4 times in a 12 month period.

Personally I don't see why Motor Tax cannot be included in the cost of fuel. So those who do the most driving will pay the most tax.

Personally I don't see why Motor Tax cannot be included in the cost of fuel. So those who do the most driving will pay the most tax.
Great idea - same for 3rd party insurance. Isn't this the way it is done in Oz?

Moving along then..

Pricing motor tax into the cost of petrol has some merits IMO as the polluter pays etc. Those who voluntarily drive somewhere should pay for the upkeep on the road etc. The problem I see is that a lot of people commute long distances and spend long periods of time stuck in traffic, where public transport is not adequate, would have to pay a lot. Given these people probably bought new houses in the last few years are now in negative equity I think something like this would be the final straw.

Not sure I agree with insurance costs included in the price of petrol as this would not deter people from driving dangerously.

Back