1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is broke.

Re: 1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is br

Beautiful!

I agree - this looks like a well run operation. How do we reconcile that with the original posters experience of "it took 5 staff to "manage" the bureaucracy of a nurse giving the flu jab" in her appointment? Hardly a consistent delivery of service is it?

Re: 1 nurse and 5 bureaucrats to give me a swine flu jab, no wonder the country is br

How do we reconcile that with the original posters experience of "it took 5 staff to "manage" the bureaucracy of a nurse giving the flu jab" in her appointment?
Have you being paying attention on this thread at all? There wasn't 5 staff and there wasn't a bureacracy. I guess it proves what they say about the smelly stuff sticking, if you throw enough of it.

Actually, I have 28 years experience in data management, so nah-na-na-nah-nah. I know enough to know that you don't reengineer a process based on one user experience.

Suddenly the reluctance to reform in the public sector all makes sense

Have you being paying attention on this thread at all? There wasn't 5 staff and there wasn't a bureacracy. I guess it proves what they say about the smelly stuff sticking, if you throw enough of it.

OK maybe not 5, but 4 - you get my drift (hopefully)

Actually, I have 28 years experience in data management, so nah-na-na-nah-nah. I know enough to know that you don't reengineer a process based on one user experience.

But I'm sure that most people would accept that if you see a process that appears to be inefficient you should examine it to see if it can be improved.

Suddenly the reluctance to reform in the public sector all makes sense
Right - every time a customer has an opinion, we should drop everything and change things to suit that customer. And then when the next customer has the opposite opinion, we should drop everything and switch it right back to the way it was.

That's the kind of public service you expect - right?

Right - every time a customer has an opinion, we should drop everything and change things to suit that customer. And then when the next customer has the opposite opinion, we should drop everything and switch it right back to the way it was.
No, but the opinion should not be dismissed out of hand.

Becky post #16
I got my swine flu jab in my workplace. There were no admin staff at the clinic, one doctor and three nurses. I filled out my form and the nurse put a sticker on the form and gave me a card with a batch number on it. It took me 10 minutes but I didn't hang around afterwards.
I heard that 300 people were dealt with that morning. Now, while I don't have access to the data there were about 20 people waiting when I arrived and left.

Becky post #33
I work in the HSE

Hmm, sounds like a better service for HSE staff to me

I could be that clinics vary and she happened to attend a well run one.

Just to be clear, I am pointing out that suggesting improvements to the public sector here on AAM is a pointless exercise, given the low level of understanding of public services that is repeatedly demonstrated on these thread.

Perhaps if you enlightened us with a process that you think could be improved we might increase our level of understanding. This couls include a description of the current process, any waste duplication etc and any suggestions.

Complainer

"Actually, I have 28 years experience in data management, so nah-na-na-nah-nah. I know enough to know that you don't reengineer a process based on one user experience.[/quote]

I'm amazed - I thought from your postings you were a young man in his twenties. I can't believe you are probable middle aged.

Why do you feel you have to defend the public sector ALL the time?

Yes, at her place of work... so what?

I just found it funny that a clinic that appears to be run very well with little admin staff was found at a clinic for HSE's own staff, whereas the public clinic attended by the OP was heavily staffed by admin staff, with little work being done by each staff member (on that visit).

Actually, I have 28 years experience in data management, so nah-na-na-nah-nah.

9 women, each pregnant for 1 month, does not a baby make

For years the Private and Public Sectors got along fairly well and worked in tandem. Suddenly, the government, the media and the braindead of society decide that the Public Service alone should bear the brunt of the recession. Get one thing straight, please, the Public Service did not cause the recession. If you think things are cosy in the Public Service why don't you work there? There were plenty of jobs going in recent years, but probably the money was not good enough for you. Things have turned sour for you and believe it or not they have turned sour for us also. But, get off my back - I am not the conscience of the state.

I have loads of experts from the Private Sector trying to run my life. Most of these people cannot run their own lives. If they are so brilliant why is Ireland Ltd in such a mess? The rest of europe is coming out of recession, ours has hardly started. One inspired poster here seems to think HSE staff should not be vaccinated against Swine Flu. Who do you think deals with hospital patients every day?

Believe me, I am tired of Public Sector experts trying to run my life - and I work in a semi-state company. I know these people cannot run a state that is why Ireland Ltd is in a mess. Totally unaccountable to anyone or anything. I work with people who in any other sector would be out on their ear but because its semi-state they are safe and know it. The attitude of management is to simply move people into some corner and hopefully the problem will disappear. That problem is, I'm sure, right across all sectors but at least in the private sector they might get the sack.

The poster who made the comments re HSE staff and the flu jab never suggested they shouldn't receive it. Simply that it appears the way they received the jab was better managed than that of their customers or to use the term favoured by HSE "clients or service users"

So now we finally know why state financial regulation in this country failed, because the people involved were outside the business in question, didn't understand the legal obligations, the political environment, the resource constraints of the business in question. Thank you for clarifying that for us. Most helpful

Thanks, you beat me to it!

Actually the biggest issue in all this is the wasted cost of the jab and it's administration because the whole thing was a con job.