€200 cost of living payment

roker

Despite reading the €200 will be going into our bank, I notice my Electric Ireland bill has €200 credited minus Vat
Can someone please explain, I thought it went via my elect Ireland last time because my bill is in credit

Last edited:
The cost of living bonus was paid last week to qualifying social welfare recipients, and is separate from any credit on electricity bills (which was coincidentally 200 euro including vat). The most recent electricity credit was added to bills around 1 March, and was the third of three credit amounts. It's shown on bills as 183 euro (approx) credit and a vat credit which adds up to 200 euro.

The cost of living bonus is paid by the same method as the qualifying social welfare payment (bank or post office)

The €183 v €200 was highlighted in the media when it was first paid. Can someone explain how a credit against a future electricity use has a VAT element? I thought VAT was a transaction or sales tax. If it's a credit against future use (sale), why the VAT?

How much is the cost of living bonus, as a 80yr old pensioner I don't think I received it

It was not paid as a separate payment, the normal payment was increased by € 200

So do I receive €200 cost of living allowance with my pension. and €200 credit on my Elec Ireland bill (which is final part of the €600 allowance)

@roker

If you look back at your post office pension payment statement, if you collect your pension, or, bite the bullet and rely on your Norton anti virus and check your online banking, if you are paid online, you should then be able to see the payment which most likely went through on Friday, 28th April.

If you sign up to Electric Ireland online accounts here you should be able to track your payments from the Government.

Hope this helps :)

Can someone explain how a credit against a future electricity use has a VAT element?
I thought VAT was a transaction or sales tax. If it's a credit against future use (sale), why the VAT?

Presumably because, in the vast majority of cases, it's being offset against the cost of electricity already consumed within the energy utilities' billing cycles. Hence it's regarded as being a credit in respect of product already consumed.

Back