Your Country Your Call - have you checked it out yet?

RMCF

I was just having a read through some of the entries in the competition and to be honest there is some amount of rubbish in it ;)

I mean this competition was meant to be about finding 2 things that would kickstart this country, or provide a major change to our lives.

Personally I think we should go for:

1) Floating soaps

2) A rail link between St Stephens Green and O'Connell Street.

Sweet Lord:rolleyes:

I have read through a few hundred entries and most of them fall into one of 3 categories:

- incredibly difficult/near impossible to do
- just plain daft
- very wishy-washy and tree-huggy

I'll announce them after I win.
I thought it was to be decided in April, now its September. I'll have to wait for the money!!

Ah, go on, tell us them.

All of them are actually published on the website anyway. Not as if its a secret.

Your's isn't the floating soap is it?

I thought the whole thing was a stupid idea from the start. Nobody in their right mind would enter it.

Oy, I am in my right mind. Why not enter and try to win 100,000 when the standard of entries is so bad. Your contribution should stand out as genius.

I thought that this was a competition to find a way of making money to get us out of recession. Most of the proposals appear to be expenditure proposals rather than revenue generation proposals?

I agree that the vast majority of them are just clean useless, and someone might win if they have come up with any sort of idea thats not bad.

I spent about 30mins reading thru plenty of the entries from all the sections and there were so many vague ones with no details like,

"we should make Ireland a hub for IT in Europe"

"we should make Ireland the China of Europe" (yeah like our workers will work for €1/hr)

"we should make Ireland the world centre of producing electric cars for the world" (like we have a history of car making)

"we should make Ireland the world leader in green technology"

All these things mean nothing really if you don't provide details of what exactly you mean and how it would be implemented.

My idea is to legalise drugs and prostitution on the Aran Islands and charge €10'000 for the ferry out there (ban all other boats) and €12'000 for a flight. The drugs and whores can be taxed heavily as well.

Do ya thing I should enter?

My idea is to legalise drugs and prostitution on the Aran Islands and charge €10'000 for the ferry out there (ban all other boats) and €12'000 for a flight. The drugs and whores can be taxed heavily as well.

Do ya thing I should enter?

You need to be cheaper than a trip to Amsterdam.

I am in my right mind - most of the time - and I submitted a few ideas - had forgotten all about it to be honest - but had a look there and one of my ideas is way up high in terms of popularity and activity! :)

corkgal - theres gonna be fierce competition between you and me for the prize money!!

I agree that the vast majority of them are just clean useless, and someone might win if they have come up with any sort of idea thats not bad.

I spent about 30mins reading thru plenty of the entries from all the sections and there were so many vague ones with no details like,

"we should make Ireland a hub for IT in Europe"

"we should make Ireland the China of Europe" (yeah like our workers will work for €1/hr)

"we should make Ireland the world centre of producing electric cars for the world" (like we have a history of car making)

"we should make Ireland the world leader in green technology"

All these things mean nothing really if you don't provide details of what exactly you mean and how it would be implemented.
My fear is that one of these will be the winner.

The Sunday Times has a column called Think Tank whereby punters post their solution to a problem. Most of the published ones generally make sense, are presented articulately (real word?) and are doable. And that's the thing, most of the time all you should be aiming for IS the low hanging fruit. Like taking 1/2 cent coins out of circulation.

Here's a pretty good example.

Council IT should be integrated

There are 34 city and county councils in Ireland who must all provide roughly the same 150 services, including planning, housing and roads. While urban councils support traffic-control centres, even the smallest local authority must provide minimum ICT services such as disaster recovery/backups, financial management and council websites. The smallest IT sections offer about 70-80% of the services of larger ones, but with as few as 10 staff. Larger councils can have up to 80. There is minimal cooperation, and hence duplication of effort.
Regionalising of ICT services is the most cost-effective way of providing eGovernment and the internal systems needed to run an efficient, modern public service. Staff need the means to coordinate in an efficient manner. All the parts are ready, they just need to be put together in a new way.
Richard Burke is an IT professional working in local government

We already have that, in the form of the LGCSB, aka the Local Government Computer Services Board. The problem is each Council can go off and do their own thing, they should be forced to standardise their systems. The HSE is another example of huge back office duplication...
The LGCSB is a classic example of right idea, wrong solution.

What was created there was a centralised board tasked with developing IT solutions for all LAs. What was centralised was "software development". What you should centralise is the business knowledge.

It's incredibly rare that an IT service is required by an LA for which they don't already have some sort of solution. So the LGCSB mostly provides solutions of marginal benefit. (The one exception being the NPPR tax site which was an obvious fit)

I'm not going to regurgiatate your man's arguements but every single LA provides a number of IT driven services - planning, housing allocation - which could be centralised - or regionalised - but certainly rationalised.

corkgal - theres gonna be fierce competition between you and me for the prize money!!

There are 2 prizes I think!!!

The site only lets you submit about 3 lines of text, so the lack of clarity on some of the proposals is understandable.

Back