Young healthy people should take out only basic cover and upgrade if they get sick

JoeRoberts,

I totally agree. This is exactly what needs to be examined.

I joined VHI when I was 19. This year I will be 62 and paying an over 50’s loading on my premium.

In my lifetime, I claimed only once from VHI, the refund amounted to £27.

My net premium increased from €1,430.74 in 2011 to €2,631.88 in 2014, i.e. a net increase of 80.46% in 3 years.

Would young healthy 20 somethings of today irrespective of the state of their health at age 50 + tolerate such an increase?

Brendan,

I guess I put this badly because I am so annoyed at the way private health insurance is developing.

When I queried, what I considered the unjustifiably high increase in the gross premium for 2013 (42.11%), the following is part of the email response I received from VHI's Customer Service Department:

"As you are over the age of 50 years, your Gross Premium is higher than that of a member under the age of 50 years but the tax credits provided by the ARTRS scheme ensure that you pay the same Net Premium as any other member subscribing to the same plan.

In order to support community rating of health insurance, the Government introduced a system called Age Related Tax Relief (or ARTRS) in 2009 providing age related tax credits in respect of those over the age of 60 that help to meet their higher claims costs. Tax relief and tax credits are provided at source and deducted from the gross premium for each member. "

I emailed back to say that I queried how VHI justified the gross and not the net increase. I also asked what if I were aged between 50 and 59 and could not avail of community rating.

I got a “silly beggars” reply directing me to which is now taken down.

VHI does not regard me as an individual but rather an age group. In determining my gross premium it takes no account of my 43 years subscriptions to Plan C, latterly Plan C Option and my claims history.

That is why I agree with JoeRoberts.

Brendan,

When you say:

“I have long argued that as young healthy non smokers pay the exact same price as old unhealthy smoking alcoholics, it's very bad value for the healthy and great value for the unhealthy.”

You are looking at this solely from the point of view of the contributor rather than the health insurance provider.

VHI charges and receives progressively higher premiums for individuals aged 50 and over.

Individuals aged 60 and over benefit from the Age-Related Tax Credit, which reduces their net premium to that which would be payable by the under 50s.

When, for whatever reason, premiums increase, the net premium increases at the same rate for all age groups.

Yes but that Tax Credit is paid for by the Levy - which is charged to all individuals who have health insurance. As I understand it the Levy is revenue neutral. Someone under 50 ends up being a net contributor to the Levy (as they get no corresponding tax credit to offset it), someone 50 - 60 ends up about even and someone 60 plus ends up being a net benefitor from the levy and therefore subsidised by others.

The whole point of community rating is to level the prices - which either requires the young over paying and the elderly under paying (via a levy type system) or requires a massive tax injection for the elderly (which means everyone in the country pays rather than just those on health insurance and would be regarded with those without insurance as unfair).

The only slight consideration here is that there are two levy rates depending if you have advanced or non-advanced cover. The idea presumably being that the (mostly younger, healthier) people on super cheap cover don't end up overly subsidising those (mostly elderly, sicker) on super expensive cover. But not sure it's enough of a difference/incentive to be honest.

However I'm not sure I buy Brendan's basic argument. Just because the younger are not getting as good a deal as the elderly does not mean you should opt out completely. It's like saying I pay more for my cinema ticket as I don't get a pensioners discount therefore I won't go see any films until I'm over 60.

Insurance is always an offsetting game and that's the point if it. Everyone who wants insurance puts some money in a pot and those that need to claim take the money out of that pot. You can argue the premiums you contribute should be risk rated, but ultimately, there's always winners and losers out if insurance. Should lucky people not buy insurance cause they are carrying unlucky people? Yes health insurance is less risk-weighted than other insurance, and yes younger, healthier people would get a cheaper price if it was allowed to be more fairly risk rated, and yes there might be better ways of deciding the levels, but that doesn't mean it's still not beneficial to have it in case the worst happens. Only when the premiums you pay in are greater than the claims you can make is the value argument so clear cut and, despite all the premium rises, we're not there (yet)!

Decide if cover is right (and affordable) for you and then get it at appropriate level of cover you want and can afford or don't get it if you feel it's of no value to you.

Last edited:
@ Sophrosyne I dont get why you are querying the gross amount and honing in on that. Isnt it the net amount we pay at the end?

Back