you know your getting old when......

Ron Burgundy

following on from the 90's thread, i've found myself noticing certain things.

Add on......

1. you look at the way teenagers are dressed and wonder do they know they look so stupid !!

2. you had a brick mobile phone or worse cb radio !!!

3. you remember only having 2 stations and live before the den

4. you know that song.....its just another 80's hit with a beat over it.

5. the release of a Now album was a big deal

6. buying bootlegs on o'connell st was cool.

over to you

7. Copying computer games involved using a double-deck audio cassette tape recorder.

8. You were jealous of your friend's Soda stream.

9. Knight rider, The A-Team and Airwolf were the best programmes on TV

10. All bikes were either racers or bmxs. No normal handlebars

11. Fraggle Rock and the Smurfs were on constantly.

following on from the 90's thread, i've found myself noticing certain things.

Add on......

1. you look at the way teenagers are dressed and wonder do they know they look so stupid !!

2. you had a brick mobile phone or worse cb radio !!!

3. you remember only having 2 stations and live before the den

4. you know that song.....its just another 80's hit with a beat over it.

5. the release of a Now album was a big deal

6. buying bootlegs on o'connell st was cool.

over to you

I have the very first now Album (on cassette)
I remember only very important business people had bricks(anyone who had a CB was super cool)
Anyone remember MT USA and fab Vinnie. I remember the first episode March 1984!
For the record, I had a huge 80's perm right up past 2000! Scary stuff!

You had a chopper bicycle.

You remember when Opal Fruits weren't available here.

You were at the Phoenix Park in October 79 and JPII was way cool.

Kenny Everett was the thing.

TV didn't come on until 5 or 6 pm in single channel land

The Fiat Mirafiori was hip but the Cortina Mk3 was the thing to aspire to.

You rang the girlfriends house on a payphone with A & B buttons for 2p a time

You look at a soccer player or gaelic player on TV and say "His father was a great player"

...You had an Amstrad computer (with a green screen), that you used to have to write the programs for, in order to get it to play games (pages and pages and pages of DOS programming script)....and it never quite worked properly

Your thumbs and fingers won't quite manage to work an x-box controller at the right pace or timing.

You queued for the original Indiana Jones movies but couldn't be bothered to see the new one yet.

...You had an Amstrad computer (with a green screen), that you used to have to write the programs for, in order to get it to play games (pages and pages and pages of DOS programming script)....and it never quite worked properly

How about a Dragon 32 ! think thats older than an Amstrad. The Dragon didn't even have one of those really cool 5 1/4 inch floppy drives in it.

How about a Dragon 32 ! think thats older than an Amstrad. The Dragon didn't even have one of those really cool 5 1/4 inch floppy drives in it.
And those floppy drives were cool..
It took me months and months (and possibly communion money :eek:), and weekend illegal working as a pre teen to save the money for it.(none of those laws against child labour back then!)
Cost Ir£450 !!
Nicola

My neighbour had a ZX81 with breakout on it - i thought that was the most amazing thing ever.
I remember getting "Astro Wars" one xmas - man, that was sooooo cool!

Atari video games were cool
there were no answering machines & you had to 'dial' a tel number (not punch the numbers!!)
Fruit Polos (& I think Curly Wurly bars) only came in the Christmas Selection Box
leg warmers & 'Fame' the series (not the movie, I was too young for the movie, was probably too young for the series too!! :D)
learned to type on a typewriter, not a computer.

... my teenage niece (at the oxegen festival) says 'Echo and the Bunnymen ? who are they ?'...

You remember life before the remote control - when the fight wasn't which of the stations to watch, but who was going to stand up and switch between the them.

Does anyone remember the wind up phones? Visiting family in Donegal, they had to wind the phone up to talk to the operator to make any call! No numbers or dial, just a wind up handle.

There was an email that did the rounds in '98 about people who were born in 1980 are now old enough to drink in pubs and listed out everything that they remembered.
A time appropriate one would be, people born in 1990 are now old enough to be legally drinking in pubs :(
They certainly don't remember tapes, and infact CD's are probably a bit antiquated.
They don't remember life before mobiles
- When you had to plan to meet someone under the clock in Cleary's.
- Sitting in to "wait" for that call - or not ;)
- The whole family knew your business as "the" phone was in the living area so everyone was listening in
They don't remember having to get a film developed before being able to see the photos
Don't remember life before the internet

Back