Key Post You can get Approval in Principle from Avant online without a broker

ash26

I have recently applied for an Avant mortgage, went onto their website and you can fill out an application where you get your AIP, you can then go onto their site and find a broker in your county!

Hi ash

That is very interesting. Could you tell us more about the process.

Did you just fill in the information or did you have to supply documentation?

And could you keep us updated on your progress. For example...

Was the broker delighted to hear from you? I imagine they were if the initial screening was done.
Does the application get through or is there some other hurdle?

Brendan

Hi ash

That is very interesting. Could you tell us more about the process.

Did you just fill in the information or did you have to supply documentation?

And could you keep us updated on your progress. For example...

Was the broker delighted to hear from you? I imagine they were if the initial screening was done.
Does the application get through or is there some other hurdle?

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

Honestly it has all been super straight forward and I am wondering if their is a catch coming!

It was reading threads on here that I went onto the website and went thru the application, it asked for the standard details of employment, financial commitments etc and at the end we got the AIP, this took about 10 mins and this is where you can choose a broker, it would only give Dublin options and we needed one in the south so I rang Avant up on Tuesday and she advised where on the site to go to find brokers in all counties. I picked the one I wanted and called them, I told him where I got the details and explained our circumstances and he said he would be happy to process our application as Avant would be a good fit for our needs.

I got the application and paperwork together that day and emailed it over, he went thru it and submitted it yesterday, they came back today saying they have accepted the paperwork and it is now gone to credit for approval.

From reading threads here I thought we would be waiting weeks to get this far with the timelines people have had.

I will keep you updated with the next stages!

I got AIP directly on the Avant website. It was easy.

However, a few weeks later I applied to a broker.

The AIP wasn't mentioned by me to the broker.

I provided pre-enquiry info to broker.

After the broker had an initial look at our financial details, then the broker asked us to make an an official application, by uploading loads of documents and photos to the broker website/platform.

So, AFAIK, the earlier AIP was not subsequently used/involved.

I suppose I was worried that I might miss out on the 1,500 cash back if it was seen that I got AIP directly through the Avant website, Rather then from a "Gold " broker.

I suspect I was wrong, but didn't want to risk it.

Begs the question as to why the brokers are needed, if you can get your AIB directly?

Unless Avant are doing very little work themselves, and trusting the brokers to screen the documentation etc?

Is the AIP online more of a ready reckoner to see if an application may be successful or do you actually have to submit paperwork eg salary info, ba k statements etc?
I think the term "Approval in Principle" may not always be clear .

Just an update with Avant! Our application went to credit 3 weeks ago and I followed up with the broker 2 weeks ago to see if he had any update and I am still waiting on a reply!

In the mean time we got approval from 2 other lenders and have decided to go with BOI and will be drawing down in 2 weeks, definitely would not recommend Avant if your looking for a quick closing.

In the mean time we got approval from 2 other lenders and have decided to go with BOI and will be drawing down in 2 weeks, definitely would not recommend Avant if your looking for a quick closing.
Who is the other lender (apart from Bank of Ireland)?

You should be aware that BOI discriminate between new and existing customers. They may be offering you a low rate or big cashback now but when your fixed rate ends you will only be eligible for the "existing customer" rates, which are much higher.

We already had a previous mortgage with BOI and we’re happy enough we have a 2.9% fixed rate now so happy enough with that for now. The other lender was a credit union who’s rate was 3.5%

Back