www.lawyer.ie?

valentine

Just wondering if anyone has used this service (www.lawyer.ie) and how they found them?? We are in the process of buying a house and looking for the best possible value on the legal side but are wary about going someone without a recommendation.
Many thanks in advance for advice.

Don't know, but under costs one of the factors taken into consideration is;

"The importance of the matter to you."

So presumably the more important the issue is to you the higher the fee???!

Sarah

www.rea.ie

I don't know Sarah - yes of course it is important - but you read in posts here of people feeling that they were ripped off by different fees when purchasing a house.
We are happy to spend money but I want to feel that I have both paid a fair price and got good value. That makes the most sense to me!

In some cases alleged cases of people being ripped off by solicitors are explained by the buyers not realising that the headline price quoted is the solicitor's professional fee only and that VAT and outlays are additional to that. Outlays include charges which are non negotiable and not under the control of the solicitor (e.g. stamp duty, Land Registry/Registry of Deeds fees etc.) even though some people assume that because the solicitor invoices for them they are under their (the solicitor's) control. When shopping around for a solicitor be guided by recommendations from trusted family, friends and colleagues and then make sure to get a clear estimate of the charges involved (a section "something" document - can never remember what it's called! :eek:) in particular the solicitor's professional conveyancing fee. Of course price is important but also important is to get a solicitor who does a proper and thorough job on the conveyancing.

Sorry Valentine, I wasn't having a go at you - I just thought it was a strange way to calculate a fee.

Sarah

Thanks for the usual solid advice Clubman - its appreciated.
Thanks also Sarah.
Still hoping that someone has used this service and could give me a heads up. Niamh

Hi Niamh,

we used the service and they were generally quite good.

However at the end there where charges such as 80 euros added on for phone calls & stamps!!!!

Back