Wrong Charge on Credit Card, BOI unhelpful

Fair point indeed roxy, they do have a 'contact us' form in their website you could use, but I know how frustrating it is not to be able to talk to someone.

I did try that too but it wouldn't let me submit it. Kept saying 'the page cannot be displayed'. It really is terrible that you can't speak to a real person these days, I hate those automated voices, don't start me on Eircoms' 1901 man!

At least with 1901 you do get to speak to someone, I have done it twice in the last few days with no problems.

Could you actually call the cinema in question and get contact details from them?

At least with 1901 you do get to speak to someone, I have done it twice in the last few days with no problems.

Really, you used to have to say AGENT really loudly to get someone.

Could you actually call the cinema in question and get contact details from them?

You get me the number for the cinema that isn't the automated voicemail and I'll speak to them no probs! :D That's my point, I can't get a number for them!

I've never been to the cinema on a Cr Card booking when they didn't ask for my card when collecting the tickets (or use the automatic dispenser where you have to put your card in the slot)

I'm inclined to think that in this case it's a matter of it being late going through.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased as I do work in banking but you'd be amazed at the number of people who come in claiming they didn't take money out of their a/c .....until you show them a copy of the withdrawal with their signature on it & it suddenly jogs a memory .....which leaves them rather shamefaced.

In defence of my organisation anyone who's ATM card was skimmed was refunded immediately. Unfortunately we also did have a few trying us on .......amazing how some people can hop on a bandwagon... which in turn means that genuine people were questioned more closely. Do they forget we have CCTV's on ATM's ?

I really would try to check up on which film it was. If someone was trying to misuse your card I think they'd do it for more than €19 !

If someone was trying to misuse your card I think they'd do it for more than €19 !

This happened to my daughter last year. She supposedly withdrew 20 euro at an ATM in Dublin. The bank refunded her money.......she had proof that she wasn't in the country at the time. Perhaps some of these skimmers go for small amounts in the hope that one won't notice. In this way they can withdraw small amounts from various accounts over a long time??????? They picked the wrong girl, she's a student and every euro is counted.

If someone was trying to misuse your card I think they'd do it for more than €19 !

Not necessarily-my gf's cc was used for several small (<€5) transactions-the company on the bill was a Spanish owned toll road operator.

Oops. I stand corrected.
From my experience of skimming the MO has been thus. Card was skimmed about 2 wks before misuse.
Operation to clean out a/c then began on a Fri evening. Max taken out ie €700. Then Sat €700 & on Sun €700. Possible again on Monday before the skimming is noticed.

Skimmers are clever as all ATM transactions at w/ends don't actually get debited out till Monday so they'll get over €2k normally before it's noticed.

Student a/c may not have had a lot of funds available ??

CCovich ...was your gf's reported stolen when these toll road charges occured ? Happened with an ex of mine. CC was hotcarded as his wallet was stolen. Phone calls were made all over Europe as public phones were not set up to recognise stolen cards. These thieves seem to know exactly what works .....which is the scary thing

CCovich ...was your gf's reported stolen when these toll road charges occured ?

Pretty much-it was a new card however.

Even though the transactions were suspicious, the bank in question admitted that transactions under a certain value are always processed-this could be why scammers go for low value amounts, as shown by liteweight's post above,

Student a/c may not have had a lot of funds available ??

She had about 100 in her account and went to ATM upon arrival in Dublin Airport. It wasn't rocket science to figure out that she'd been skimmed. Even then, she wondered was it a transaction coming through late. Once she arrived at the house and told me what had happened, I assured her that ATM transactions do not take 2 weeks to appear on statement. The card was only ever used to take cash out.

Well, just to let you know that I've been onto BOI again about this and got someone nicer on the phone who just refunded it there and then. So maybe it just depends who you get in the Call Centre.

Skimmers are clever as all ATM transactions at w/ends don't actually get debited out till Monday so they'll get over €2k normally before it's noticed.
Not necessarily true - I've seen details of ATM transactions available on internet banking almost immediately, at weekends and mid-week.

Yes, you can see them online immediately but check out your statement. They all technically get debited on the Monday, with the dates of usage in the narrative.

Back