Wrong Charge on Credit Card, BOI unhelpful

roxy

God I am terrible at putting titles on my threads!

Ok, my credit card statement came with a charge on it for UCI Cinemas on it, 19 odd euros. I haven't been to the said cinema in a long time, certaintly not last month anyway. So called up BOI Card Services and they told me that it was done using my card (duh) but they couldn't give me anymore info that that and I would have to contact UCI myself and find out what it was for. The only number I can get for UCI is the automated ticket line, and cannot understand why I have to find out anyway, surely the banks can do the disputing for you? I'm wondering if they are being unhelpful because I'm switching cards, or am I just being paronoid? Where do I go from here with it?

This happened to my dad, but it was from ebay (which my father doesnt use)
BOI refunded him the money and when it happened again, he cancelled his card and hasnt had any problems since.
My dad didnt have to follow up anything from his side, I would have thought that BOI have to follow up false transactions

There should be a way you can contact the UCI. Write them a letter?

I know in Cineworld you need your CC to collect the tickets. Is UCI similar? Did you lend you card to someone? Could this be an old charge only coming through now?

There should be a way you can contact the UCI. Write them a letter?

I know in Cineworld you need your CC to collect the tickets. Is UCI similar? Did you lend you card to someone? Could this be an old charge only coming through now?

Thanks for reply.

I'm sure I could go to UCI and speak to someone or write a letter but why should I have to, it wasn't my mistake.

I know you need to have the card for Liffey Valley as this is where I normally go, not sure on UCI. Haven't lent the card to anyone either. I know it's only 19 euro but it's my 19 euro! I really don't think it could be an old charge, but if I could get through to someone and find out what film it was for, I'd have a better idea.

You can contact UCI Customer Services through their website.

The credit card company won't know what the charge is for-only UCI can tell you this. If they can't/won't, you can then demand that BoI refund you the money.

You shouldn't have to go to UCI. Dispute the payment with Bank of Ireland and let them sort it out.

Regardless, I would contact UCI and see what they say.

If there is an 'innocent' explanation, i.e. a billing error, fair enough, get your money back and hopefully that's that.

However, if someone has been using your card details fraudulently, or has cloned your card, then you need to have the card cancelled ASAP.

Lest anyone think I'm defending BoI Card Services, I left them because of their incompetence and actually threatened them with the Financial Regulator.

How though, what will I say to them?

They have authorised a transaction on your account that you did not initiate. As the provider of the credit card service, they have provided safeguards to ensure that only you can initiate such transactions - signatures, and chip & pin. Bank of Ireland have failed in their duty.

The relationship that is of concern here is between you and Bank of Ireland. Where the transaction came from is nothing to do with you - it is for them to find out how their process failed and how they didn't hold up their end of the agreement for you to have a credit card.

I would strongly advise that you don't speak to UCI at all. If you start, it will only muddy the water (as happened with the lady who had a cheque cashed fraudulently at a credit union here recently).

Again, the only relationship relevant to you in this issue is between you and BOI. It is up to BOI to see how UCI were able to pass them a bogus credit card transaction - not your problem.

My husband and I bought bathroom fittings and my hubbie paid in full with his visa. We went back to the shop half an hour later to add another item worth 500 euro to the order. The salesgirl said a 100euro deposit would do and we could pay the rest COD. However the company debited the 400e owed a week before the delivery with no pin or signature. We only found this out when my husband got a letter from BOI saying he was over his limit and demanding the 400e. He contacted BOI and they didn't give a toss that the transaction was done without his consent. We didn't make a big issue with the bathroom co since we owed them the money anyway but I was really annoyed about it....

ronan_d_john said:
As the provider of the credit card service, they have provided safeguards to ensure that only you can initiate such transactions - signatures, and chip & pin. Bank of Ireland have failed in their duty.

What about 'cardholder not present' transactions? For example, last time I looked, you did not need either a signature or a PIN to buy goods/services online.

ronan_d_john said:
It is up to BOI to see how UCI were able to pass them a bogus credit card transaction - not your problem.

Don't hold your breath that they will-it may not be worth their while to query the €19 with UCI.

If it was me, I would want to find out myself what happened, if only to ensure that I don't need to cancel the card.

The merchant accepts liability for fraudulent CNP (cardholder not present) transactions. Hence the push for Verified by Visa/Mastercard SecureCode.

I think you need to push BOI - Tell the operator that you need the supervisor. Tell the supervisor that you won't be paying this charge, and if they don't support you in the dispute, you'll be closing your account (without paying the UCI fee). I had to push BOI hard to dispute an Amex transaction last year, but once I got through the frontline staff, the dispute team were actually very helpful.

don't bother with UCI, contest the charge with your service provider & thats that, keep it simple, why would you bother chasing UCI on behalf of the bank, I don't get it ?

If UCI made the charge in error, they are liable to refund the money to you. If there is a dispute, then go to the credit card company.

If it was a fraudulent transaction carried out at UCI using your card, the credit card company will refund the money.

Who is to say it isn't a vaild charge, i.e. the OP could have gone to the cinema 6 months ago and the transaction may not have been billed at the time. It is unusual, but not an unheard of occurence for transactions to take a long time to process.

I honestly don't see the big deal with asking UCI.

If someone took money from my account, I would in the first instance query it with them, not the card company.

don't bother with UCI, contest the charge with your service provider & thats that, keep it simple, why would you bother chasing UCI on behalf of the bank, I don't get it ?

I'm inclined to agree with Horatio. I've experienced this problem and the company concerned would not admit or even check if they were wrong.

I then reported it to AIB Visa who sent me a form to complete and they dealt with it from there. I have to say though that unlike the OP's experience with BOI I had no difficulty in getting AIB to deal with it.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions.

I honestly don't see the big deal with asking UCI.

CCOVICH, Thanks for the advice, I appreciate what you are saying but I did try call UCI in the first place and got the automated thing. I can't find another number anywhere. I'm not going to go all the way over to Blanchardstown about it. I would like to know though what film it was supposed to be for, just in case it was 6 months ago or whatever.

Fair point indeed roxy, they do have a 'contact us' form in their website you could use, but I know how frustrating it is not to be able to talk to someone.

Back