Written Rent Agreement

M

mainframe

Hi Folks,
I agreed to rent my house to the council more than 6 months ago, rent was agreed in person and I have a letter confirming both parties agreed the rent for said amount.
Now 6 months have passed because the bank messed me around with paperwork (not my fault at all). The council have the paperwork and I have brought the house up to current building regs and ready for the council to take over at a cost of over 1000 euro. However the council have said that rents have decreased in the time span and have offered me a new amount near 20% less than before.

My question is, can they do this? (well they just have). But should the written agreement not stand until the contract is signed or can they just change their mind at any time?

then what is the point of an agreement?

I thought an agreement meant something in the law.

mainframe, could I ask a question, I would like to rent a house to the coucil, how would I even go about starting this process, who can I talk to.

as regard syour problem I assume if nothing is signed they can change their mind

Thanks
Reg

If rents had rocketed in the mean time would you have been happy sticking with the agreement? The 6 month delay would give them grounds to walk away entirely.
Leo

If rents had rocketed in the mean time would you have been happy sticking with the agreement?

Ans: I might not be happy but I would not try to break the agreement we had.

If I get a mortgage to buy a house and the bank gives me a deal with an interest rate, then I would expect to get this interest rate even if the central bank rate rose the next day. My rate would stand because we had an agreement. Thats my understanding of it, maybe I am naive.

regvw - contact your local council and ask for housing, they can send you out an information pack

My question is, can they do this? (well they just have). But should the written agreement not stand until the contract is signed or can they just change their mind at any time?
As a taxpayer, do you want councils to get the best value they can when spending money?

I said, as a taxpayer, do you want councils to get the best value they can when spending money?

Back