Would this work.Same tax portion for everyone?

The problem in Ireland is that the lower paid are under taxed and the higher paid are over taxed.
Someone on €35K a year in Ireland pays around 25% of the average income tax level within the EU for someone on the same wage.
Someone on €70K a year in Ireland pays around 75% of the average income tax level within the EU for someone on the same wage.

Them's the facts. I know it doesn't fit in with the undemocratic "Social Justice" equality of income agenda being pushed by the Labour Party and Trade Unions but the discussion should be based on facts not opinions and pinko begrudgery.

I find it unbelievable that low paid workers are constantly complaining about how others are paid too much,this has happened many times when for example I am in a taxi ( and leaving a tip for them! )or in a hairdressers ( and leave a tip for them also !)etc,it is most bizzare that they do not realise who it is that is keeping them in a job!

I felt like saying to the taxi driver/hairdresser,listen who are your best customers,is it the lower paid,lower taxed worker or the higher paid higher taxed worker?

I get so fed up with the ignorance of some that they cannot see who in fact is keeping them in business!!

100% agree with all of that.

Those needing the biggest incentives (and incentivising one thing can be done by disincentivising another!) are the longer term unemployed (including those who have never worked) and those on entry level wages.

So it is important to:
1) Make longer term unemployment less attractive relative to shorter term
2) Have lower marginal rates of taxation for lower level wages to embed in people the benefit of working harder from an early stage

There is something on TV3 about this tonight.
As far as I recall it is showing how you can be better off on the dole than working in some cases.....
Just checked its on Midweek show at 10 0clock, on TV3,title is " Am I better off on the dole".

Last edited:
Back