Would/should people get 'involved' if they see people being attacked on the street?

Re: Would/should people get 'involved' if they see people being attacked on the stree

The unfortunate thing is that the majority of people freeze,when they see shocking things, it is a natural reaction,they can not help themselves.A small percentage of people react quicker and in a different way

Agree with this, and not just in situations where the bystander could become a victim, I was once almost swallowed up by an escalator that grabbed onto the end of a long cardigan, I was being pulled backwards, trying to get out of said cardigan and just one person out of at least 20 bystanders jumped forward to try and pull me out of the machine, everyone else just froze and looked shocked.

Re: Would/should people get 'involved' if they see people being attacked on the stree

Don't forget your cape

My brother intervened in a situation on the upper deck of a bus once, but ensured that he had a few other people lined up in support, before throwing the two kids in question down the stairs to a round of applause. Not saying this would work in every situation.

just one person out of at least 20 bystanders jumped forward to try and pull me out of the machine, everyone else just froze and looked shocked.

At least you didn't end up on youtube...........or did you?

Here's a story from Derren Browne

“I was coming back from this gig in Wales and this guy walked past. He was really drunk, and I’m wearing a velvet suit, not looking good. And he was like, ‘What the are you looking at?’ and he came up close, really nasty. So I said to him ‘Well, the wall outside my house isn’t four feet high.’ And he was like, ‘What?’ And I said, ‘When I was in Spain, the walls were really tall, but over here they’re really way down here.’ And then he just looked at me and went, ‘Aargh!’ and broke down in tears.
“I was completely calm and in control. What I said made sense, but his brain was going: ‘Have I? Is it? What if…?’ and the rug was completely pulled from under him. It’s all about bending and pushing a situation without making it seem like you’re doing anything at all. It’s these weird states of mind we get in where we become massively suggestible.”

This is effective. Its called an information dump.

Back