Would a bank know details from another bank account number?

overtones

What I mean to say is if a cheque or draft was to be paid from one bank to an account in another bank would the first bank where the cheque is drawn on have all the details of the person who is to receive the cheque i.e. would they know that persons address and DOB simply from the account number they must lodge the funds to? Is it a matter of data protection or do all banks have access to postal addresses etc from other banks?

Thank you that is what I thought but was not sure. So if the person who the cheque is issued to happened to owe the first bank a sum of money from a debt several years ago then is it true to say that the bank wouldn't even know who this person is if all they have is a name and account number to lodge to?

No!! banks have no access to client data in competitor banks.

I'm assuming we are talking 2 different banks here. I don't quite understand your query but in general

The bank where the cheque is lodged will obviously have the sort code and account number of the cheque in question, the drawers name and the name of the payee. They will have no further information then that. They will forward the cheque on to the drawing bank. All the drawing bank will know is what bank the cheque was lodged in and in some cases (and it varies from bank to bank here), what branch it was lodged to and also the payee name. They will have no further information then that.

Note as well it's quite possible that once the cheque is lodged no-one from a bank will ever see or touch the item as all banks bar PTSB and the Central Bank have their cheque processing outsourced to 3rd party providers at this stage. However an image of the item will sit on a bank archive for at least 6 years so they could look up the image if they wanted.

Thank you for your reply, just to give you the full story it is for a friend of mine . Basically she owed about 15K from a personal loan from 7 yrs ago, she lost her job and could not pay it back, they got a judgement against her.

Now she has recently received a cheque from a company for 36K but the company in question banks with same bank she owed the money to. She no longer banks with that bank obviously but she is worried that they can decipher her information simply from her bank account number in her present bank . The cheque is crossed to her bank account.

I told her she should be OK and that now she has some funds she really should think about coming to an arrangement with in regards to her loan and she said she will definitely work something out , she is just scared that they can somehow stop her payment I seriously doubt that but said I would seek clarification for her.

Last edited:
She has nothing to fear. The cheque transmission system is automated and banks could never be in a position where they have the time or resources to check the payees of cheques issued by their customers.

Back