World Cup for Ireland

zztop

With stadiums like Croke Park,Aviva & Thomond would
1 more do it.Or join up with Scotland for a celtic world
cup??

Please don't even go there....It's impossible.

Was if Jim McDaid who said we should aim to host the olymipics?

Euro Championships maybe, but never the WC.

A bid with Scotland and Wales would certainly be possible. I think it was considered in the past (or should I say that Ireland were considered by Scotland?).

There's plenty of hotel rooms for the fans anyway.

But I would doubt the infrastructure is good enough around the country to move the vast numbers about. Our buses, trains and general public transport are rubbish.

Please don't even go there....It's impossible.

Was if Jim McDaid who said we should aim to host the olymipics?

Jim McDaid may have suggested it, but Gay Mitchell was the first, as Lord Mayor of Dublin, to make a fuss about about it.

I would assume that you would need to have some track record of hosting events of that scale, or serious political influence with FIFA.

On both scores, we've no hope.

Also, apart from Croke Park, which would not be available in June & July, the other stadia aren't big enough.

A bid with Scotland and Wales would certainly be possible. I think it was considered in the past

Yeah, it was embarrassing.
The FAI brought the UEFA delagation on a tour to Abbotstown and showed them a field, then to Landsdowne Road which was not suitable and finally to Croke Park: a fantasic stadium but unfortunately soccer was not allowed be played there at the time.
The 2011 Europa Cup final is going to be held in the new Aviva Stadium.

Back